Backing up Android phone without USB lead

My Pixel3a phone wont charge, I think the USB socket is dusty or broken.

I've moved the SIM to an old phone. But the problem is all the photos, notes and data on it which I havent backed up, how to get them off it with what battery power is left?

[george]
Reply to
George Miles

If it is dusty you could try blowing the dust out of it or looking at Youtube for other similar fixes.

If you have enough battery to run screen and wifi you can upload stuff to email or google drive, etc.

It looks like it supports wireless charging (on wikipedia) so could you borrow a wireless charger long enough to get it going? A quick google also suggests it's fairly easily repairable compared to most devices of its ilk.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

sadly pixel 3 has wireless charging, my pixel 3a doesnt.

But its half the price, with the same great camera.

yes, google drive is one option, but wouldnt it be quicker to get them to my pc hard drive somehow?

Yes, it is more repairable than some phones, but first i want to get the data off it.

And as it has my email passwords I dont want it to leave my possession.

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

No, the 3 and 3XL do, but not the 3a

Reply to
Andy Burns

for my previous phone, a Nokia, I bought (on ebay - where else?) a replacement back which allowed wireless charging. Perhaps the same applies to your phone?

Reply to
charles

I normally use ES file explorer to move files directly to my NAS. Setup a network connection on that that uses SMB to link to the NAS root folder. Then either use ES to copy from the DCIM folder on the phone to the NAS, or in the gallary, tag all the images you want to move, hit the share link, and do "Save to ES", then you can set the destination as the shared folder. One a decent wifi connection it will move them fairly quickly.

Reply to
John Rumm

There is often gunge at the bottom of the socket that stops the plug seating properly. Try something like a cocktail stick (useful to use a magnifier; I use a jeweller's loupe).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I liked to use ES File Explorer's FTP server to copy/move files using File Explorer from a desktop. But the app was removed from the Play Store in April, and also pulled from the company's site. Reports suggested they'd been caught using the app for click fraud.

Reply to
Robin

Have you tried a new lead (and/or charger)? Micro USB plugs and leads seem to have a high failure rate in my experience. If it?s just dusty, clean it!

Are you sure? If you?ve created a Google account you may find that your phone has backed itself up. If your phone has two ?folders? for photos, maybe one called ?gallery? and the other ?photos?, one of those will actually be your photos backed up on line to your google account. You notes and data may be backed up already.

Have a look on YouTube for videos on changing the USB charging port on your phone and on eBay for replacement parts. These things are often much easier to replace than you think.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Google found the app on

I hope it is OK it found my NAS and the files on it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The Li-ion batteries or cells in phones etc are usually single celled. That means they're relatively easy to charge without the phone. The cheapo way to charge them is just a resistor to 5v. So that can at least get you endless charge.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

For future note, a magnetic USB connector will prolong phone life considerably.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you connect it to your PV via a USB lead, does the PC see the HD?

I use My Phone Explorer on PC and Samsung which then connects via Wi-Fi or cable - but with no power to the phone you'd not be able to install that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I still use "Sweet home". I don't think it is still supported but works fine on my phone with Android 9 and most recently 10. You set it up to connect to a mount point on your network and then going forward when it connects to your ssid it uploads any photos etc that have not previously been done. I seem to have to hit the button to manually upload these days but otherwise works fine.

Reply to
Lee Nowell