Mobile phone screen repair

So anyway, I've stripped my phone down to its individual bits and got the new screen and digitiser ready to replace the old shattered one, and right at the start I have a query. It's recommended to use 1mm wide double-sided tape to secure the inner and outer screens to each other and the substrate beneath, but this is extremely fiddly and there's not really any chance to reposition accurately once tack has taken hold (and accurate placement is critical!!). Has anyone had to do this and is there a viable alternative to tape?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well it's a better idea than anything I've come up with! The problem would be how to apply it, though. You're talking a max. 1mm bead of the stuff (worse yet - half-mil allowing for squish during reassembly) so ideally one would need a hypodermic syringe to lay it down - and I think the viscosity would make that impossible?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

A clue as to the handset would help you know! Not all phones are the same.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I believe in this respect all smartphones are pretty much the same. The one I have in mind is a Samsung Wave II S8530 if that means anything to anyone!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Slightly OT, but I have just managed to replace a 10year old Sanyo phone power/data connector with a mini usb socket for charging. Don't need data as it has bluetooth. I initially tried with a micro usb socket, but found it too frail when installed. I think using micro usb for charging is a very dubious exercise and I understand some units are failing within the first year..

Reply to
Capitol

I replaced the screen on a Samsung Mini earlier this year. The removal/replacement instructions for that were - use hairdryer to warm screen, and push gently out of the plastic frame. I did this, and found that were was enough sticky left on the frame to fit the new screen without any further adhesive. The mini is all in layers, and once put back together all the components are held tightly anyway. You may find yours is the same - how sticky is the frame now you have it in bits? Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

Never occurred to me, to be honest, Charles. I'm afraid I scraped all the old tape off as per all the tutorials I'd seen on youtube!

Do you remember the connector for the digitiser/screen? This is a narrow

6 pin thin film cable that connects together these two components together. It's the first connection you have to make on reassembly. I can't see how the film's contact area is secured to its corresponding interface! Is it simply the case that it relies on pressure from behind to hold it in place? There's a sticky pad as well to assist, but that's half an inch away behind the digitizer chip. Your construction sounds exactly like mine, so I'm guessing that when the layers are reassembled, the film connector will have sufficient pressure behind it to hold it in position? There's a couple of good hi-res shots of the connector in question about half way down this page here (you'll have to paste the whole 3 lines into the url window most probably 'cos the hyphens may confuse things otherwise). You can see the connector I refer to towards the bottom left of the chip in the first large picture. Hopefully it will jog your memory:

Cursitor Doom

Scrub that! Sussed it. There's a tiny slim slot it slides into, almost invisible to the naked eye. Thank god for stereoscopes! Panic over (for now....)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

A while ago, but I think that the connector for the digitiser had a little clicked flap, that when clipped back held the ribbon in place.

Charles

Reply to
Charles F

In article , Capitol scribeth thus

My daughter has managed to "fix" her smartphone many times with bits off e-bay theres usually a vid of how to take it apart on U tube somewhere...

Reply to
tony sayer