Mobile phone

Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something suitable for the following spec:-
Modest price Navigation Robust good battery life
mail
I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can withstand being dropped.
--
Tim Lamb

On 30/07/2020 18:57:19, Tim Lamb wrote:

Huawei - if you don't want a rooted phone Xiaomi - if you do
All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.
mail?
On 30/07/2020 19:14, Fredxx wrote:

I have and Xiaomi MI A2 which so far has worked well. I did try to unlock it for fun but was unsuccessful, perhaps just as well as one banking app said it would not work on a phone that had been unlocked.
--
Michael Chare

On 31/07/2020 01:27:08, Michael Chare wrote:

Which bank? Root can be easily hidden from banking apps. https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHideHidingRoot
I had to wait a week for my unlock code. At least Xiaomi allow you to unlock the bootloader and its free.
On 31/07/2020 01:39, Fredxx wrote:

Thank you for the link. It was Nationwide. I dislike the app as someone with the phone gets three goes at guessing a 4 digit pin number to access the account.
--
Michael Chare

On 30/07/2020 19:14, Fredxx wrote:

All smart hones maybe. My Samsung feature phone is over 10 years old, and I reckon I drop it most months.
Andy
On Thursday, 30 July 2020 18:57:37 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll suggest Here We Go (free) for navigation. Not perfect (not that any are) but pretty good. I use a 7 inch Samsung tablet with a very low data allowance which costs next to nothing. Not ideal as a phone but you can use it for calls and SMS, if you wish.
(I think it might be Samsung Galaxy TAB 4 7.0 SM-T235N WI-FI+4G 8GB but not certain.)
I can leave it on for days without having to charge it - mostly connected to wifi and checking mail from time to time, updates, etc. I don't need to charge it at all on the sort of journeys I make - that is, a few hours.
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...
[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:

Mine is one of the older models with Gorilla glass and has survived a 6' drop onto concrete with only minor spalling of the front surface.

It isn't quite stock Android but the battery life is very good.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Lots of food for thought. Someone has gifted me a redundant Microsoft something. (Does 4g so not very old) Doesn't meet any of the *drop* criteria but does meet the low cost one:-)
Curiously my news reader put your post in my kill file. I suspect someone else has used the *@nowhere.null* bit and Turnpike has picked up on that.
The biggest problem is that I am 15 years behind the learning curve on hand held technology:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Hmm.. The card payment system won't allow the card expiry date to be entered:-(
Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Tim Lamb

Ah! Argos don't like Firefox! OK on Google crome!

--
Tim Lamb

I used Firefox to order from Argos only a couple of weeks ago.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I use Firefox and buy quite frequently from Argos, I've never had a problem.
--
Chris Green
·

writes

I tried two different cards and two log-ins. (Barclays and NatWest.)

--
Tim Lamb

On 03/08/2020 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:

I had a problem with this: it appears not to accept the value but registers it anyway. (Stupid Argos losing sales.)
--
Max Demian

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 18:57:19 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Define... I'm quite pleased with my Nokia 6.1 that costs around £150.

The app you use is up to you but I guess this means it must have GPS.

The Nokia 6.1's body is machined from a solid lump of aluminium.

The 6.1 will do several days on standby in a good signal area. At home, poor signal, a couple of days.

The app you use is up to you.

As has been said a case ups the abilty of a phone surviving being dropped and also decreases the chances of it being dropped in the first place. I find naked phones to be slippery little blighters.
The Nokia 6.1 is also an Android One device so doesn't come with a load of bloatware.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 30/07/2020 20:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Another vote for the Nokia 6.1. I've been very pleased with mine.
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.
- Around the £150-160 for the top of the range model - Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade - It does everything a £400-£1000 phone does, just doesn't look as fancy (a little heavier/bigger) - Very good camera - Fast - Battery is very good - Support Fast Charge (at least twice as fast to charge) - Takes SD card, so if memory an issue you buy a 64GB card for £15 and put it in (supports up to 256 GB I believe) - Splash-proof - 2 year warranty - Plenty of cases/screen protectors/etc on eBay for pennies - Dual SIM (if you buy the right model) - Navigation is through software (every phone nowadays has the GPS hardware). Use Maps, Waze, or one of the many other free apps (Nokia do a pretty decent offline one). - Mail is also software (app). It comes with a free one that is very good. Otherwise there are plenty free ones to choose from
For protection: buy a rubber/silicon case that covers everything but the screen. Hardly noticeable and VERY robust. You can safely drop it from your pocket to the ground. For the screen buy a glass screen protector. They suggest that you could hit it with a hammer without causing damage to the screen. Never tried that, but from experience it will protect your screen from pretty much EVERYTHING. It is really good. Both case and protestor are no more than a few pounds each on ebay and will last you the lifetime of the phone (buy a pack of 2 screen protectors, just in case).
We tend to upgrade them every 2 years or so and sell the old ones on ebay for around 40-50% of the original price
Look for deals on the MOtorola website, Amazon, or just a Google search.
To choose the model use gsmarena.com
JoeJoe wrote:

Moto were only owned by google briefly (mainly so google acquired their patents, and maybe some of their best engineers) sold to Lenovo under 2 years later.