100kWhs of phone charger power

A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether they are charging a phone or not.

What size battery would would suck up 100kWh a day? And who would I be able to reach on the mobile phone?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day. Perhaps they have selected the charger they are warning you about and it was an early mobile phone charger circa 1980's.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

5W. Certainly modern chargers are quite cool so I agree with you.

When I suffered a disk crash a few weeks ago I borrowed a USB-IDE adaptor and the nasty hot power supply with that took 7W with nothing connected.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

Sounds the usual garbage formulated by some f****it droid without a clue.

Reply to
EricP

so 24 hours times 5 is (approx) 100W

methinks someone misunderstood the the units.

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

Picking up the nearest charger at hand, a Nokia - input rating 4.8VA - call it 5W - that is on full load.

5W for 1 hour = 5Wh 5W for a day = 5 * 24 = 100Wh approx = 0.1kWh

now 1 unit = 1kWh

at 9p/unit cost = 0.9p/day

that's on full load.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Don't take this the wrong way. I know I am prone to slap the ears of the deserving but I think you had best read the original post, you f****it.

Here is a clue: The OP is quoted at the top of your post (and I have left it in the top of this one so you won't have to struggle.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

| |D.M. Procida wrote: | |> A leaflet that arrived with the electricity bill claims that our mobile |> phone chargers will be sucking up 100kWh of electricity a day, whether |> they are charging a phone or not. |>

|> What size battery would would suck up 100kWh a day? And who would I be |> able to reach on the mobile phone? | |Chargers do get warm if left plugged in but I find it hard to believe |this would amount to a tenth of a kilowatt in a day.

Which is *100watthours per day* Maybe a person in the publicity department who did not understand *kilo*?

About 4 watts seems about right to me.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Lol. Maybe if you add up all the chargers in the nation.

100kWh over say a 5hr charge is 20kW. At 12v that would be 1666A. For 5 hours means charging input of 8333Ah. If we allow 10% losses then you're looking at a 7500Ah 12v battery. Compare that to your typical 33Ah car battery... its equivalent to 227 car batteries.

Where could you phone with that? Pluto maybe?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Multiply that by 365 days (0.1kWh x 365) = 36.5kWh

If you have three or more chargers in the house (two mobile phones and a couple of DECT handsets) and you are looking at well over 100kWh

That is per *year* though, and that is where the leaflet gets things mixed up. Swap *day* for *year* and it makes perfect sense.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

You may well be talking about GWh then...

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

I wouldn't say a 33Ah battery is the typical capacity of a car battery - more like

50 to 90 Ah...

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Ah well, probably only get as far as Neptune then.

Reply to
Jason

Or Uranus?

Reply to