Cell phone / home.repair /OT

I left my cell phone outside while laying sod, an alt.home.repair, and the sprinklers are working just fine now. I took the wet cell phone to the cell phone place, and they basically said SOL with no insurance.

Can I possibly buy one of the same models on ebay, and use this same SIM card? Is there an ID or something that would identify the phone I bought in case it was stolen goods? I would get a guarantee paying with Paypal. Is there any way of AT&T knowing I'm using a different phone with the same SIM card? Would the phone even work, or are there things in their system to catch us scofflaws? Seems like they can make the damn things a little more water resistant. The guy said that even body perspiration can ruin them.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Used to be, you couldn't even buy/change to an updated phone from the same provider without paying through the nose for some rip-off charge. A few years ago, hackers started "jailbreaking" cell-phones. That's removing the proprietary software locks on cell phones you were asking about. This made it possible to take a jailbroken phone and just change the sim card. Better yet, the FCC just recently made jailbreaking phones legal. In short, if a phone is jailbreakable, you can buy that phone and change sim cards to it and go on your merry way.

I'm probably in error on some details, as I don't do cellphones, but that's the basics as I understand it. I'm sure others can clarify.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I don't know about AT&T but with Verizon you can switch phones right online. All you need is some numbers from underneath the battery. Type them in, turn on the phone, and it's automatically programmed with your phone number and contact list. They automatically update your account online with the new phone model.

It has to be a Verizon phone of course, but they don't care what phone it is as long as you're paying the bill. You don't need a special hacked phone or anything.

Heck, they'll do it right in the store for you while you wait.

I don't see why the same thing won't work with AT&T. They're competitive with Verizon and offer an almost identical feature package. Should be a snap to swap SIM cards and be on your way.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Might be too late-- but for future reference. As soon as you see it's wet- yank the battery. If it is salt or other mineralized water, rinse well in distilled water. Dry on top of a TV/DVR/computer for a day or 2. Say a prayer and plug it in-- A friend's first iphone survived a dump into the toilet with that method. [She says she's glad she dropped it before she used the toilet-- made the diving in after it an easier decision.]

The only one who can answer that for sure is the outfit you're dealing with. [and if you don't like the first answer you get-- call again later and ask again]

You want waterproof? How about drop proof, too. Need a flashlight? Compass? Thermometer- GPS? Want to drive your truck over it? Need a hockey puck?

Get a Hammer Phone

It is $300 CAD- but if I was still working and felt like I needed a phone I could abuse, I think I'd go for it.

Actually I think waterproof is fairly easy- but the ones I looked at a few years ago [Verizon phones] were lacking in whatever else I was looking for at the time.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

they sell bags filled with dessicant for reviving dunked electronics. they state that a couple days in one of the bags has a good chance of reviving.

chaniarts

With today's technology, I would think they could do better. You have to go to a special company, and a special service to just get a plain vanilla phone with 10 numbers, on/off, and just the basics, which is what most people use anyway.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Remove the battery and set it aside. Leave phone in the sun to completely dry. Replace the battery. I bet it will work again.

Reply to
jw

The SIM card will work on an AT&T "Branded" phone or one that is "unlocked" to use cross-providers.

Your old phone 'may' be savable. I hope you took the batt. out right away. Now bury the phone in rice, yes rice. In a few days try to see if it absorbed all the moisture.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T & T-Mobile (and all of Europe) use GSM. Only GSM needs a SIM.

Reply to
G. Morgan

According to this, smartphone use overtook other phones about now:

This one says smartphones accounted for 42% of all phones:

George

Typically you "jailbreak" a phone to obtain root privilege so you can add or remove stuff.

At least in the case of VZW and the 3 carriers I used before them all you need to do to change to an updated phone is to log into your account and add the ESN to your account and dial the provisioning number. Some of the newer phones can be added to your account by simply dialing the provisioning number from the phone, responding to the questions asked and it "automagically" programs your phone over the air.

Reply to
George

Verizon LTE uses a SIM.

Reply to
George

If your new ATT compatible phone is unlocked just insert your old SIM card.

Dick in Dallas

Reply to
Dick Keats

The Motorola Droid 3 has one, but it's for international use.

Reply to
G. Morgan

"Oren" wrote

Who the frick goes to Popular Mechanics when they pick up their soggy cell phone in the yard and see if it still works?

Next time, I have a lot of information, should this happen again, and with my lifestyle, it probably will.

All I'm trying to do now is damage control.

I think this is fried, screen wise, but I am going to put it in rice for a couple of days.

After that, I shall buy another on ebay.

I was resigned to this after I dropped my other cell phone while playing golf, and the mower didn't get it, but the sprinklers did. I didn't do any research after that one, or I would have taken the proper procedures this time.

I have extensive EMT certifications, even into hyperbaric medicine. BUT, no information does any good unless you have it BEFORE the incident, and then when the incident occurs, you take the right steps at the right time. Lots of reruns, but no re-dos.

Just like driving. Right steps at the right time ends in the right destination. Everything else lands you in Cleveland.

Will advise.

Shit.

It's always something.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

First, I could very easily do without a cell phone at all. When the "bricks" came out, I had to have one, and I will admit, it did help develop my steel erection business.

Today, I get calls to not forget to pick up the dog at the groomer (after a morning reminder, and a Post-It note on the windshield and bathroom mirror), pick up a gallon of milk and a gross of Tampons, etc vital info. It is an interruption and a bother with voice mail available, where I can turn the cell off completely, and check it twice a day when I don't have my hands full of dangerous tools, am not up at heights, or have a hand full of steering wheel amongst road raging idiots.

When I see people with their fingers waving, doing all manner of things on their phones, it is a little sad. Sad that their lives are at the end of their fingertips, and whatever actual present moment in front of them is totally missed, or sad that they are so obsessed with anything.

I do admit that the current tide of communications are handy, and we have used it to verify game rules during the game, bring up nature information while viewing nature, and other situations where the intergalactic size of our current library is fingertip accessible and helpful to answer problems and sort out arguments. Not me. If I am going to spend $75 a month, it's going to be on gas for the boat, or a new gun, a new tool, or something I enjoy.

I suggest that in the next few years we shall see specialty programs on TV like the ones now regarding hoarders, intervention, sexual peccadilloes, et al, but something like, "YOU PUT YOUR CELLPHONE WHERE?"

rant off ....................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Dick Keats" wrote

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dick in Dallas. I knew if I waited long enough someone would give me a one sentence answer.

God bless you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

He gave you the correct answer. If you have an ATT phone, all you have to do is insert the old sim in the new phone if the new phone is not locked into another system. Also depending on how you saved your phone numbers, they may also be saved in the sim and you will not need to put them in tehnew phone. Some phones give you the option of storing numbers in the sim or phone memory, or a combination of both.

Over the years I have had several 'free' ATT phones. Sometims when I get a new phone, I find I like the old one beter and just switch the sim card back.

The rice idea is a good one also. Sometimes the water is not a problem when it drys out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've even heard of people using *distilled* water and 91% isopropyl (50/50) to dunk the phone if the contaminant was 'sticky', like sugar soda.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Much better than expected. I had to raise a corner to put a little dirt underneath to fill a low spot, and the roots were down 1.5" already. I have been watching it as per watering, and I must admit, much to my chagrin, it was worth it. 3500 sf of sod is a lot of frickin sod in anyone's yard.

I did have a healthy crop of mushrooms appear. Baby boomers, don't get excited, it wasn't THOSE mushrooms, so am currently jousting with them. Had to take a dog to the vet, don't know if it got ahold of one or what. But all in all, it looks good.

Now, I'm involved in putting over 1,000 sf of shop made metal trusses and sheeting over two 40' containers to make my ManCaveOnSteroids. Wood shop, metal shop, beerbrewing room, et al.

If I can just get a break from that infernal cell phone ringing with delaying calls........... Lucky my text isn't working, or it would be twice as much.

Hope all is well in the City of Lights. Don't miss it one whit. Still have the rentals, and they are doing good. We're booked SOLID each year with the WSOP repeaters, so we're fat and happy.

Going up to the cabin tomorrow to fix burst pipe. Hope to spend at least a few nights there this year .........................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B