Wet phone

Grrr! Installing a WC today, kneeling above pan, bent forward & my Nokia slipped out of my overall pocket & landed in the (clean - but full) toilet bowl!
Oh botheration I said...
Fished it straight out, it was under water for literally 5 seconds. Took the battery & SIM card out, tried to dry it out with kitchen roll, but it ain't not working.
Is it possible to dry a phone out? Any chance of it surviving?
If not - can I buy a cheap pay as you go at Tesco & use my SIM card in it? Tried my SIM in SWMBO's Nokia, but it came up 'phone restricted' & asked for a number.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
After serious thinking The Medway Handyman wrote :

I've done it several times, once in acid. Always pull the battery immediately, then rinse in warm clean water especially if the wet stuff is anything other than clean water. I then pull apart and rinse some more, then blow as much of the wet out as I can with a compressor. Finally I leave the bits to dry out on a hot radiator.
All of mine survived.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I bet you didn't use those exact words...

Low.
The phone's probably network-locked. If it's locked to a different network to your SIM, then a tenner down the market should see it unlocked and happy.

I've dropped at least 2 Nokias ( 9210i and E70) and an SE K750i down the loo, and they've always survived. The bloomin great brick 9210i took 2 trips down the pan, and still works 5+ years later.
two steps to maximise chances of survival:-
1) remove battery immediately 2) dry out thoroughly in a warm & dry environment for at least 24 hours before re-inserting battery.
The memory card on the K750i didn't recover for a few months after immersion but works fine now.

Quite right, but you missed one step: open it all up, else it'll take forever to dry out inside.
Meanwhile any old phone on the same network will /usually/ do, but not quite 100% of the time.
NT

No, not in my experience.
You might get some life out of it by sticking it in a warm place buried in rice but even then, it's life will be limited as it corrodes away.

Get a PAYG on the same network and yes, you should be able to. Alternatively, find an unlocked phone. play.com is a good source, nokia direct unexpectedly ok pricing at times or try carphonewarehouse - they are often unlocked (but check with sales droid or even better, take in your old sim and get them to demo it). That has the added advantage of being a highstreet store.
Darren

Meant to say, the other option might be to unlock another phone. Easier on some than others. Some can be done yourself, nearly all will be unlockable for a tenner in the local market...
Darren
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Leave the back off, whack it on the airing cupboard for week, if you have any of those sachets of silica bead dessicant, surround it with them ... and cross fingers ...
Andy Burns wrote:

Ah. Can't survive without it for a week - business calls.
I guess I'll have to try the market.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Tenner to a bloke on a dodgy looking market stall will either unlock your missus' phone, or buy you some out of fashion brick to use for a while ...
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:39:03 +0000, The Medway Handyman boggled us with:

I have had success with Nokias that have been down the bog or in the sink. The important thing seems to be *not* to switch them on until they are thorougly dry.
--
Mike P

Likewise my daughter has dropped her same phone down the pan twice.. Like Mike says the trick is not to turn it on as you risk the chance of the current going astray and frying some component (I'm sure there is technical jargon for that). Take everything out of it that can be taken out, battery, memory card, SIM etc. Leave it in drying cupboard or blast it with a hairdryer if you can't wait.
Has worked for me.
SPAMASMAPGmail.com> scribeth thus

Don't do like what some Paddy's did with some hand held mobile radios put them in the Microwave oven to warm 'em up .. and dry them out;!...
--
Tony Sayer

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Act (who knows), scene (who's counting) - entering left of stage the great drama queen of uk d-iy!
You've just learnt another lesson oh unwise one! *eg* But will you remember it?

Most intelligent thing you've said for a while.

About time you washed your hands - but you couldn't have "dried it out with kitchen towel" unless you dismantled the thing to almost component level. Work it out.

Yes and possibly - if you stick the thing in a nice warm airing cupboard for a few days - or with the hot-air you spout, blowing on it for five minutes.
Now leave the stage exiting right!
Unbeliever wrote:
The usual shite.
Fuck off you idiot.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

If you have some distilled/deionised water (as used for steam irons or battery top-up) flush out the phone with liberal quantities before drying. Although it may seem perverse to add even more liquid, pure water is a good insulator and can remove contaminents that might otherwise cause the phone to fail through corrosion or electrical leakage.
Richard. http://www.rtrussell.co.uk /

If you have some distilled/deionised water (as used for steam irons or battery top-up) flush out the phone with liberal quantities before drying. Although it may seem perverse to add even more liquid, pure water is a good insulator and can remove contaminents that might otherwise cause the phone to fail through corrosion or electrical leakage.
I would use IPA not water.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

IPA? Can you get that in Kent? Not that I'm a fan of English beers anyway ...
--
Tim

Not sure I'd risk that. IPA is not a powerful solvent but there just might be things in the phone - like all the part and serial numbers/id numbers, and labels - that it could remove.
Distilled water can be saved when defrosting the fridge (if you are careful not to include bits of food). Boil it and keep it in sealed bottles.
Phones/ cameras /toasters/ trannies/ etc can usually be dried out, and a squirt of distilled water can indeed be good for blasting out crud - and, indeed, salts from leaky batteries. But do dismantle as much as you can manage before drying, and do get as much as poss off with tissue to minimise residual deposits. Just don't re-energise before you are sure all is dry. (Anyone with lab experience will know how useful vacuum desiccators can be for this. At a pinch some d-i-y ers could make their own: rushing water can create a useful partial vacuum, and basic lab models, oddly enough were 'evacuated' via a gadget that ran off the tap. I have use such to speed up filtering home brew...)
Spamlet wrote:

Why worry about a few stickers? The warranty is already toast, they have "water markers" dotted around in the phone.