Fitting built in gas oven ...

Jethro pretended :

These things usually just plug into a wall mounted gas outlet socket.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Jethro has brought this to us :

They all (so far as I am aware) use a flexible feed pipe fitted with a quick disconnect bayonet at the end.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A Plumber explained :

Why? Our present gas hob (electric oven) uses a flexi pipe and our free standing oven (2 ovens ago) had a flexi to feed it. It makes them so much easier to install and when needed, to service.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Our leccy oven has finally started to show it's age, which means we are looking for replacements. (We've waited for this day for 8 years !!!!). Both Mrs Jethro and I prefer gas, and were hoping to squeeze a double oven into the space ... after a hard afternoons googling, we found this :

is a Stoves model. I've always thought of that brand as being one of the more elite, so hopefully better quality.

Anyway, two questions :

1) anyone familiar with the above, or can suggest an equivalent ... 2) Regarding fitting. Would I be correct in assuming the best way forward would be to arrange to physically fit the thing (cutting space, etc) and then call a gas engineer to complete the gas bits ? Or is there some logic to getting the thing gassed up, and *then* fitting it ? (Can't see it myself) ....

cheers

Reply to
Jethro

though, but that was fitted with a ridgid pipe - so at least we'd need the socket fitted ...

of course if it does come with a standard pipey-thingy, then the socket could be fitted whenever ....

Reply to
Jethro

Reply to
A Plumber

Certainly gas hobs now have to be on rigid pipework but AFAIK ovens are still OK with a bayonet jobbie?

David

Reply to
Lobster

FWIW, when our present gas hob was fitted, I recall the fitter saying it had been incorrectly fitted (previous owner) as they had used a flexi pipe, and it should have been rigid. He left it according to regulations (so the wife tells me) ...

WHICH MEANS ... there conceivably could be the socket left behind, in which case I can fit it myself :-) :-)

I shall unscrew the old oven (below the hob) and investigate.

Reply to
Jethro

Reply to
A Plumber

I think the manufacturers instructions can override the ridged piping requirement on hobs. However they usually are hard piped. Ovens are more often on a bayonet since it makes for easier installation.

Reply to
John Rumm

But as with most things, these regs aren't retrospective; if Harry's hob was installed according to the rules prevailing at the time, then he certainly has no need to rip it out and have rigid pipework fitted...

Reply to
Lobster

Not to current regs, but could have been correct at the time of installation. No necessity to update so I'm not changing mine.

Reply to
<me9

That does not appear to be the case...

From BS-6172:2004 "Installation and maintenance of domestic gas cooking appliances (2nd and 3rd family gases) ? Specification" (inc Amendment 1 Jan 2006)

11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer?s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming to BS 669-1
Reply to
John Rumm