Built in oven, leccy or gas?

I know I want a gas hob, but how about the oven. Surely leccy cooking must be more expensive than gas? Pros & cons - gas toast v leccy toast etc. How many kW is a typical leccy oven? Any experiences? TIA.

Reply to
brass monkey

Electric ovens tend to be better sealed so they may be cheaper.

Buy a toaster and don't use the grill/oven.

two to three kilowatts for about 30% duty cycle.

I have a gas hob and an electric fan oven and wouldn't change either.

Reply to
dennis

To cook a roast in an electric oven would take about 1.5 kWh, or about

2% to 5% of the cost of the meat (which is very cheap in my country).
Reply to
Matty F

In message , brass monkey writes

I prefer a fanned electric oven, though you can get fanned gas cookers nowadays I've never tried them.

Though they try to sell it as a feature (and it is occasionally useful), the temp gradient of a typical gas (or unfanned electric) oven is more often a PITA. The bottom shelf of three in our gas oven is pretty much useless for anything with things on the other shelves.

The even heating of a fanned oven means that you can sensibly cook on all three shelves (say cooking pizzas or doing a roast dinner with plenty of roasties and parsnips

Reply to
chris French

It's a matter of personal opinion. I have a gas hob and wouldn't touch an electric one. As to ovens, I'm easy either way but I would much prefer a gas grill to the electric rubbish I've got at the moment. It's not just toast you use it for - how about grilled bacon, beefburgers and the rest?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Gas toast is better!

Gas is instant-on, so toast is done quicker and loses less moisture from the inside.

Electric takes a while to warm up, so toast takes longer and is less-moist.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I'd go along with all that. Gas for hob. Instant and controllable. Leccy for oven. Dry even heat and not expensive. I've got one (not expensive) that can used either for fan or conventional or a mixture. Company's gone bust now though!

Yes the grill is more uncertain. Never had other than leccy but when I've used gas I didn't like it. Probably unfamiliarity though.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:43:56 +0100, brass monkey wrote (in article ):

I've got a gas oven and grill and I don't like either. Electric seems much more versatile; you can have a fan, top and/or bottom heat, timers etc. A gas hob is essential though IMO.

Reply to
Mike Lane

You would be better off frying them. This myth about grilling has no subsatnce to it. When you fry, the gloop leaves the meat and stays in the pan when you lift the meat out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I thought that the whole idea of toast was that it is crisp.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

One thing no-one tells you about...gas appliances are cheaper per KW ...however they are usually not on long. The key thing here is that gas appliances obviously combust natural gas..and that very combustion process requires air ingress into the room and more importantly created considerable quantities of water vapour...cant remember the combustion formula now but its astounding how much vapour gets into the air. My father used to have gas hob and gas oven and there was condensate dripping down the walls.

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

Thanks folks, it's deffo gas hob and gas oven, I just hate crispy toast ;) I'll buy a gnome seat to watch the grill and also forget about a leccy toaster.

Reply to
brass monkey

Has anyone any experience of induction hobs? We use a cheapo single hob one (20 quid-ish from Netto) occasionally, but there are some sub 350 euros in some Spanish / French supermarkets for glass topped full size ones

John

Reply to
JTM

Electric fan oven every time. Preferably a double oven. Roughly the same heat throughout, controllable.

Yes it is a bit - but the oven doesn't use that much (the hob has much higher energy usage). The running cost difference isn't significant.

As long as you leave the electric grill enough time to get up to heat neither are significantly different.

2 to 3

After many oven/fuel combinations have been using gas hob/electric oven for 15 years and wouldn't change.

Reply to
Peter Parry