Built in gas oven

Hi All SWMBO has got her heart set on a gas double oven to replace our old elctric fan oven, we already have a gas hob so the gas supply is there already, how much trouble is it likely to be to fit? The last time I did any gas fitting was with 3" iron pipe in a boiler house (20 years ago). Are there likely to be fittings designed to supply both hob and oven easily available or is it a case of just finding a BSP tee and flexible connector. I guess I'm asking if this has been standardised - in our previous house I just fitted a bayonet fitting.

Nik V

Reply to
NikV

Firstly read the instructions. Fitting built in gas ovens is somethings I've only done a couple of times. It might be possible to fit the oven with a flexible hose and use a standard self sealing bayonet connector on the other end. (Screwfix parts 12279 and 14904). This will allow the oven to be slid back in (or out of!) its housing and then connected up.

Failing that you would have to make up some sort of arrangement where the fixed pipewrk could be undone (when the need arises).

See the Gas Fitting FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

done - brought back some memories

Thank you for your quick response. Ive had a quick look at the way the hob is connected, basically gas comes out of the wall elbowed parallel with it to a compression gas c*ck, a short 8 inch run to another elbow and soldered copper to iron made onto the 15mm tailpiece union on the hob. I will probably remove the section between the union and gas c*ck and insert a 15mm tee soldered + and bayonet fitting pointing down. Ive done the gas tests before so I will tell the wife that she can order the oven - fitting it can be a valentine present :-/

Thanx Nik

Reply to
NikV

Flexible hoses are for "mobile" or non fixed appliances. Fixed appliances, eg oven units/hobs/gas fires/central heating boilers should be fitted with rigid pipework.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Try and persuade her otherwise. There really are no advantages over an electric one domestically - apart from perhaps quicker pre-heating, but lots of disadvantages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Pah. I much prefer gas ovens. I usually only want to cook something for 10 to 15 minutes. The electric takes AGES to get up to temperature. The gas is MUCH quicker. I don't cook much puff pastry, so I couldn't care less about even temperatures etc. Besides, when I am doing something more complicated, the electric fan oven doesn't give enough differential between top and bottom for things that require different levels of heat.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How old is your 'leccy oven?

Only, when we changed our elderly (12 years?) Philips for a new one, the difference in warmup times was astonishing.

Reply to
Huge

My mother's is fairly old. It was one of the first halogen types. Horrible thing. My last house had a built in oven that must be between 5 and 10 years old now. I don't know exactly when it was installed.

At the end of the day, they're all around the 2 - 2.5kW mark. I can't see how the warmup times would improve that markedly.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thats what I thought originally but the built under unit would have to be 'mobile' to slide it out just like a gas cooker, a gas cooker wouldn't be any more mobile but these are often fitted with hoses.

Nik

Reply to
NikV

complicated,

I have to agree, both from a cooking POV and a taste POV I prefer gas, I always think (rightly or wrongly) that volatiles given off from the food are burnt in the gas oven but just circulated to be deposited in an electric oven.

Nik V

Reply to
NikV

Quite.

[3 lines snipped]

Me neither. But it was nonethless significant.

Reply to
Huge

Surely most things that can be cooked in an oven in 15 minutes would be ok and faster in a microwave?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The main one - to me - is that they require more cleaning, and also make the kitchen itself more dirty. Add to that the waste heat which can make a small kitchen unbearable on a warm day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Get one with a switchable fan, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've got a visitation from the CORGI inspector tomorrow so I'll quiz him.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Better insulation and less thermal mass etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

God almighty !

Just put any pastry product in a microwave, a Ginsters pasty, a "Snake & Pigmy Pie". anything, even just a slice of bread and give it 30 seconds on high to see it turned into sloppy mush.

DG

Reply to
derek

One is that they chuck out lots of heat: friends of ours have one and in the summer it makes their kitchen unbearable. This is one area electric has the advantage: because there are no waste gases to dispose of (into your living area) all the heat can be kept inside the oven.

They're also inherently safer as there's no gas to possibly escape if the flame supervision mechanism goes wrong, or possibility of poisonous fumes from incomlete combustion.

Reply to
John Stumbles

That's OK if you want all your food microwaved.

Reply to
Huge

Dunno. I just concluded the old one was more clapped than we realised.

Reply to
Huge