Gas Bayonet Connector

Don't panic, I'm not about to try and fit one - even though I have done in the past.

Can someone confirm whether gas bayonet fittings are still legal tender? I'm sure I read somewhere that their use had been deprecated in recent legislation.

Reason for asking is that someone has asked me about a kitchen fitting job and he mentioned that moving the gas cooker during the work wouldn't be a problem because it has a bayonet fitting.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

They're still on sale in the usual suspects. On the other had they are the ones who have the sign about having your gas appliance installed by a Corgi registered electrician :-)

Reply to
BillR

They are fine when used correctly and in the right place.

If the kitchen fitting job simply means unplugging and relocating the cooker and then later recoonecting then I don't see that there is any gas fitting to be done.

BTW I see that adverts for kitchen fitting crews now require at least one memeber to hold CORGI regitration, presumably so that the crew can install a gas hob.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What are the rules for a gas hob (screwed down to a worktop) and flexible hoses / bayonet connectors ?

If a kitchen already has a roll-out cooker with a bayonet (perfectly OK) and a non-CORGI chippie installs new cupboards, leaves the gas fitting alone, then installs such a fixed hob with a flex hose, how does this square uo with the CORGI rules ?

Andy Dingley

If the hob comes with a flexible hose attached then that might be OK (but I doubt it*)

If the hob manufacturer's instructions allow it to be connected by a flexible hose but there's no hose connected to the hob then I think it would require a 'competent person' (read CORGI if it's being done for reward) to connect the hose to the hob.

  • AIUI the point of the regs (Gas Safety Installation and Use Regs 1998, not CORGI rules BTW) is that when the cooker - even a freestanding/slot-in one - is installed it should be done so by a competent person to ensure that the installation meets requirements for clearances from combustible surfaces and ventilation. Once it is installed then the householder may disconnect and reconnect a freestanding cooker using the bayonet connector in order to clean behind the cooker, retrieve stray cutlery, children's toys etc.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+

Reply to
John Stumbles

I do kitchen fitting as needed. And my take on it is that I can fit a hob and/or oven no problem - but the final connection to the gas supply must be done by a CORGI registered engineer.

At this rate government will prevent people checking their oil because new legislation prevents anyone opening a bonnet who isn't a street-cred mechanic.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I think it is forthis reason that all new free standing cookers require a hose to be added.

The technicalities of hob with hose yes or no? Are dealt with in the gas fitting FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

AIUI the ethos of the ever increasing legislation would be to permit anyone to _check_ the oil and/or top it up but would require a certified mechanic to change the oil.

The certified mechanic would have shown that he knows where not to dispose of the old oil - but of course would still dispose of it by the most convenient method in practice. The mechanic would charge a lot for this service because he would have to recoup his registration and certification fees - and of course knows that others are illegal.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Manufacturers instructions don't tell you how to fit the hob, other than telling you it needs a proper gas supply. It's the gas regulations which tell you which methods are the best and safest for the appliance. The hob can be fitted with rigid or flexible fittings to the supply, so it is down to your installer which method they think most suitable. A free standing stove can also be fitted with rigid plumbing, although this is less convenient if you want to roll it out for clean or maintenance.

Anyone is allowed to connect the bayonet connector fitting because it is almost fool proof in its design and can only be fitted in one way, i.e. push it in, twist it a quarter turn, jobs done.

Reply to
BigWallop

I was thinking more of the legalities. What is "fitting" a gas hob ? (as in, that which a non-CORGI non-gas-fitter tradesman is not permitted to do for reward).

Is a chippie (who can reasonably be expected to be capable of measuring) permitted to measure the room volume and ventilation, and decide that a particular hob's requirements are being safely met ?

Can the chippie use a screwdriver to install the hob, or is "touching the fixed appliance" legally equivalent to "fitting" ?

Andy Dingley

Note that some hob are explicitly forbidden to be supplied from a hose becasue the manufacturers forbid this. This means that there will be some gas pipework to work on. This introduces the subjects of sizing, soundness testing abd purging as well as being familiar with the correct materials and fittings needed.

Here are some chunks from the Gas Fitting FAQ:

Some jobs that look straightforward, for example, fitting an inset gas hob consists essentially of "cut hole, drop in hob, secure, and connect up to gas supply". However, this hides the fact that there is often a stack of standards of be complied with which the installation instructions may or may not tell you about. For instance, in the case of a gas hob the room in question must have a door, window or other vent that can be opened directly to outside air and the room must have a volume of at least 10 cubic metres.

Professionals should do many checks on their work, some of which may seem unnecessary at first. Before doing your own gas fitting, you should know and understand the relevant regulations and standards relative to every aspect of the task in hand, and your level of experience must be appropriate. For instance, if you are not confident that you can make a good soldered joint for a water pipe then do not even think about doing gas pipework.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

A (water, non-CORGI) plumber is competent to make such joints, by any reasonable measure. But AIUI, they're forbidden from soldering the same joint in a gas pipe (or at least they require a small welsh dog to sign it off afterwards) _because_ it's a gas pipe.

Now where does this boundary extend ? Can our non-CORGI chippie perform a chippying task that doesn't involve gas-carrying parts ?

Andy Dingley