Gas bayonet fitting

I'm replacing an old gas cooker with a new built in double electric oven. The gas supply pipe is a bayonet fitting and I've been told that I can simply disconnect this and the supply automatically seals. It won't be used or accessible in future so I need to know that it is safe and secure.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance really :)

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

Bald eagle coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes - they are designed to be "user removable". But give it a sniff afterwards just to make sure it's not leaking.

I'm not sure on the implications of making it "not accessible" though. I would have thought getting it capped off permanently would be better - but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to give a better opinion.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Recently I got one of these fitting cut off and capped .I thought that was the best solution although it hadn't been used for several years but it was in the way of other things .

Reply to
fictitious

I rent out a property and the tenent said she could smell gas occasionally. So we called ot BG (0800 11999) and they came and tested for a keak with a "guiger counter" type device. It showed a slight leak from the bayonet fitting. The BG engineer said they were only relly designed for a short term disconnection i.e. cleaning, decorating, moving out (with a new tenant moving in ASAP). So he removed it and capped it off as my tenat was using an electric cooker and had no need for it. I will have to get it replaced if she ever wants gas cooking or a future tenant does. This may be a load of twaddle but as they did this for nothing I wasn't arguing.

HTH

John

P.S. Ed Sirret will have lots more experience with these couplings than me!!

Reply to
John

Should read 0800 111 999

Reply to
John

My understanding is they are designed for short term disconnection only, and hence you should not rely on them for a long term or permanent disconnection.

It would certainly not be a good idea to box in or make inaccessible.

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR that bayonet fittings were used regularly for gas pokers, frequently disconnected - close to an open fire... !

Reply to
Frank Erskine

So what happens to them if left without a connection to a cooker ? If they start leaking then how does that happen .I know I have seen suggestions that when disconnected they should be covered with a plastic bag or similar to stop dirt getting in which is sensible .

As I said mine was disconnected for years and I wasn't aware of any problem .

Reply to
fictitious

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Glad this has been mentioned. When I put my new one in, I'll add an isolating c*ck upstream.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Yes it's a load of twaddle. The bayonet connector was faulty. Could have been replaced but as he capped it for nowt and it isn't used no harm done.

Reply to
Alang

If they were designed for short term disconnection they would have isolation valves behind them. I recall the old gas taps in my parent's house being replaced by these in the 60s. Most of the gas points in the house were never used and were still there in 1994 when my mother died and the house was sold. Hardly good practise to replace something known as safe to leave disconnected with something that was 'known' to be unsafe.

Reply to
Alang

The cooker bayonet fitting is designed for long term disconnection and does not require any gas c*ck before it. so no problem there.

However, the chances are very high that the bayonet fitting is secured to the pipework by compression nut and olive. If that is the case then this must be easily accessible, if not accessible then you should be looking to cap off the pipe in an appropriate manner.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Standards and regulations do change.

I would assume it to be at least good practice to not rely on a bayonet for an indefinite period (knowing what we do now about safety)

Reply to
John

So now we have a difference of opinion ..Who is right?

Reply to
fictitious

If they are considered dangerous there needs to be a national advertising campaign to alert the public to the dangers and a government backed process to have them all replaced. Wonder why that has never happened? Could it be that the majority of such connectors are the same as the one sitting unused in my kitchen with the probability of a fault no worse than on any other gas fitting?

Reply to
Alang

In message , Alang writes

the cost ?

There are so many things that need campaigns - think about roof slates for example - walk along any shop fronted high street an look and see how many displaced / loose tiles you see

So many other examples

National campaigns cost money and governments tend to be reactive not pre-emptive

Reply to
geoff

I have looked at a couple of gas fitting books (incl. Essential Gas Safety) and AFAICT there is nothing that requires the removal of a bayonet outlet when no longer in use.

It might well be that they are intended to be used for short term disconnection and it might well be that they can be the source of some minor leaks (as they also can be even when in use).

IME they are usually a screwed joint to the pipework, which is usually achieved with a wall plate elbow if the supply is in copper pipe.

The main issues, ISTM would be

1) Does the old bayonet outlet get in the way of the new appliance (quite likely). 2) Peace of mind. 3) If the fitting is to be in accessible then, I would certainly not want a bayonet outlet hidden a way, not with standing that there most likely will be a compression joint involved and then MUST not become inaccessible.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

Unfortunately that didn't stop Part P and a host of other unnecessary bollocks.

"Roof tile falls on MP's dog"

Reply to
Tim S

Or there is no danger

None on our high street

So if there had been any problems the government would have reacted. Since they haven't reacted there cannot be any problems

Reply to
Alang

The rot set in with the windows. Could easily have been sorted by banning the sale of non approved glazing units

Roof falls on MP :)

Reply to
Alang