Price Of Lightbulbs

A friend of mine has been trying to get Philips Softone lightbulbs and can only get the low energy ones which,as low energy ones go, pretty much look the same as ordinary lamps except for the price .I saw a place selling them at £63 for a box of 10 bulbs FFS. I'm guessing that Philips no longer sell them and Ebay only has the LE ones as well. This place appears to still have them tho' at £14 for 5 x 2 incl delivery of £5.99

'm also guessing that this problem is only going to get worse .

Reply to
fictitious

Get yourself some lighting gel and wrap it round a low energy lamp. Then you can get your replacement lamps anywhere for peanuts and still get the nice colour.

BTW, it has already got worse... much worse: I saw screfix selling a standard 60w bulb for a tenner the other day, it was a special offer too! Nope, not low energy, not shatterproof, not anything other than a

20p bulb. Cant find the part no though

NT

Reply to
meow2222

One sure way to not only reduce the poor light output - but not get the same type of light either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your friend needs to be planning their way to remove filament lamps from their home. In particular, anything other than clear glass ones will probably vanish from the market within a year.

Softone lamps in particular are very inefficient.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh she should should she .Try telling her that :-) WTF should folk be forced in to doing something that they don't want to . It's like this fascination with buying LCD tellies which are s**te.

So what's inefficient with Softone bulbs or any other kind of non Low Energy ones for that matter . It wouldn't be so bad if the price of Low Energy ones was similar to ordinary lamps but it isn't as I said above .

Reply to
fictitious

Umm people clearly want to buy LCD TVs, hence the huge number of CRT TVs at any local dump. The purchasers are not "forced in to doing something that they don't want to" (sic) the purchasers are doing exactly as they want.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well maybe "forced" isn't the right word but how many CRT tellies are on the market just now ? Argos have 8 out of 232 and half of the 8 are

14" the rest 21"
Reply to
fictitious

Why should a supplier stock goods that don't sell? How many gramaphones do Argos stock? What's their current stock of buggy whips? Do they have a good line in carburettors?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Because they'll otherwise continue wasting resources.

I would have preferred if the government had pursaded change with price weighting through appropriate taxation.

The ideal solution would be one where you also pay for all the energy consumed when you buy the lamp, in which case the energy efficient ones would be clearly cheaper at point of purchase. Most people buy on price, but I'm sorry to say, most people are too thick realise the energy efficient lamps are cheaper even though they may appear more expensive on the shelf. That's obviously difficult to implement. Only thing I can think of is that you charge VAT on the expected energy consumption at the point of purchase, at a rate something like 100% on lamps < 40 lm/W. That would make a 100W bulb about £10 shelf price, which sounds a lot, but is actually about the same it really costs today. That would make most people switch, but for those who have to have one, then you're only doubling the price.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've seen some stupid answers in these newsgroups but that is well up there in the top league.

Reply to
fictitious

Or stocking up on a reasonable supply.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed, you can't add missing lumps of spectra with an optical filter...

Reply to
John Rumm

yes, filters do that... its what the OP wants.

The light output is tailored by the filter gel. Choose as you wish. With the tinted lamps you only get 2 or 3 colours to choose from, and then only when you find them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would have thought that manufacturing resources have completely gone over to LCD or Plasma - or preparing for some newer technology.(OLED or whatever). Therefore any CRT TVs will be old stock - or have been in a very slow supply chain. However, CRT was a good product - but when you consider all the complications (akin to a carburettor!) it is a wonder it gave such good results - painting different phosphor dots inside a glass tube - don't be daft!

Reply to
John

I know .The'll be inventing talking down copper wires next ..Ha !!!

Reply to
fictitious

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the modern plasma and LCD displays to the CRT's. I started with a LCD monitor for the PC, then followed it with a big plasma screen TV and since then we have gradually got rid of all the old CRT's. The only CRT left in this house is my oscilloscope.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

why do so many people want to control what kind of lightbulbs others buy? The only semi-plausible argument is environmental change, but the idea that changing bulbs will have any effect on future climate is entirely unrealistic. Its a strange thing to be preoccupied with!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Agreed.It's pissing in the wind concerning the environment but they ( Governments) have to be seen to be doing something don't they ..

Reply to
fictitious

Not how I read it.

There's more to light than the colour the lamp looks like. You can only really tailor a light source with a filter if that source has a reasonably continuous spectrum. Which most CFLs don't have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must have had a pretty awful CRT monitor on your computer if an LCD was an improvement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)