Price Of Lightbulbs

A friend of mine has been trying to get Philips Softone lightbulbs and can only get the low energy ones which,as low energy ones go, pretty much look the same as ordinary lamps except for the price .I saw a place selling them at 63 for a box of 10 bulbs FFS. I'm guessing that Philips no longer sell them and Ebay only has the LE ones as well. This place appears to still have them tho' at 14 for 5 x 2 incl delivery of 5.99 http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Lamps/Group+6+-+Decorative/Softone/60w+BC/Soft+Tone+60w+Bayonet+Cap+White/3853358680
I'm also guessing that this problem is only going to get worse .
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Get yourself some lighting gel and wrap it round a low energy lamp. Then you can get your replacement lamps anywhere for peanuts and still get the nice colour.
BTW, it has already got worse... much worse: I saw screfix selling a standard 60w bulb for a tenner the other day, it was a special offer too! Nope, not low energy, not shatterproof, not anything other than a 20p bulb. Cant find the part no though
NT
In article

One sure way to not only reduce the poor light output - but not get the same type of light either.
--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Indeed, you can't add missing lumps of spectra with an optical filter...
--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

yes, filters do that... its what the OP wants.

The light output is tailored by the filter gel. Choose as you wish. With the tinted lamps you only get 2 or 3 colours to choose from, and then only when you find them.
NT
In article

Not how I read it.

There's more to light than the colour the lamp looks like. You can only really tailor a light source with a filter if that source has a reasonably continuous spectrum. Which most CFLs don't have.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:25:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Nor me and I wrote it ..:-)
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Lamps/Group+6+-+Decorative/Softone/60w+BC/Soft+Tone+60w+Bayonet+Cap+White/3853358680
Your friend needs to be planning their way to remove filament lamps from their home. In particular, anything other than clear glass ones will probably vanish from the market within a year.
Softone lamps in particular are very inefficient.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 29 Dec 2008 12:58:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Oh she should should she .Try telling her that :-) WTF should folk be forced in to doing something that they don't want to . It's like this fascination with buying LCD tellies which are shite.

So what's inefficient with Softone bulbs or any other kind of non Low Energy ones for that matter . It wouldn't be so bad if the price of Low Energy ones was similar to ordinary lamps but it isn't as I said above .

Umm people clearly want to buy LCD TVs, hence the huge number of CRT TVs at any local dump. The purchasers are not "forced in to doing something that they don't want to" (sic) the purchasers are doing exactly as they want.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:33:21 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Well maybe "forced" isn't the right word but how many CRT tellies are on the market just now ? Argos have 8 out of 232 and half of the 8 are 14" the rest 21"

Why should a supplier stock goods that don't sell? How many gramaphones do Argos stock? What's their current stock of buggy whips? Do they have a good line in carburettors?
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:58:33 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

I've seen some stupid answers in these newsgroups but that is well up there in the top league.

I would have thought that manufacturing resources have completely gone over to LCD or Plasma - or preparing for some newer technology.(OLED or whatever). Therefore any CRT TVs will be old stock - or have been in a very slow supply chain. However, CRT was a good product - but when you consider all the complications (akin to a carburettor!) it is a wonder it gave such good results - painting different phosphor dots inside a glass tube - don't be daft!

I know .The'll be inventing talking down copper wires next ..Ha !!!
John wrote :

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the modern plasma and LCD displays to the CRT's. I started with a LCD monitor for the PC, then followed it with a big plasma screen TV and since then we have gradually got rid of all the old CRT's. The only CRT left in this house is my oscilloscope.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

You must have had a pretty awful CRT monitor on your computer if an LCD was an improvement.
--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:27:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

My experience is that LCD screens as monitors are OK but as tellies they are shit .
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My experience is that generalisations about such things are pointless. Each needs to be judged on its merits.
--
Cheers,

John.

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

No, my last CRT monitor was 19" costing around 500 when new - Sony or something similar, just one of many I've had over the years. I bought a 15" cheap LCD monitor, not really expecting much and for my type of use (mainly text and diagrams) was sufficiently impressed to dispose of the CRT. As already indicated, I have since got rid of all the CRT's.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)