Ah well, all good things come to an end...

..and that's me got my last batch of incandescents in. Should be enough for years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Join the club !

Reply to
john

Yep - half a tea-chest of 100w bulbs arriving tomorrow from Toolstation.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've got a hundred 100W bulbs, good quality ones. I think I might as well get a few 60W ones as well. I can't see why we are not allowed to select the quality of light in our homes on environmental grounds when people are still allowed to chose whether to fly, drive, or go by rail.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yeah - good thinking. Why should we worry about the planet. I'm getting on a bit so the problems we're causing probably won't affect me and why should we care about future generations - we'll all be dead by then.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

All members of congress that voted for that law should be fined for each one they find in their house!

Reply to
Dymphna

Has anyone found a source at a better price than Toolstation's 33p for

40/60W pearl BC/ES or 45p for 25W opal BC candles?
Reply to
fred

I didn't think the lower wattage bulbs were being banned yet.........?!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Clear ones are ok for a while yet but pearl/opals are out, even in the lower wattages. It has sort of crept up on me too.

Who uses clears?

Reply to
fred

Why should we be so arrogant as to think we can make a difference to what the planet does?

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

How many ?

I got 100 x 100W and 100 x 60W a few months ago

Reply to
geoff

In message , fred writes

22p each for 100 off
Reply to
geoff

Are they banning halogen GLSes too? Slightly more energy efficient, same size and other characteristics generally. What's the problem?

Reply to
John Stumbles

I can't think of a good explanation that doesn't involve swearing a lot...

Reply to
Jules

People are now making frosted bulb condoms to stick over clear bulbs to allow you to get the frosted effect!

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , geoff writes

That'd certainly do the job, 100 is the sort of quantity I'm looking for. Care to share the source?

Reply to
fred

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

I bow before your eco-terrorism, for I can barely muster 100.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In fittings with their own diffusers, and in many cases where the lamp isn't visible, clear is fine. They are more efficient.

Some Ikea CFLs come with such a covering, which is handy as you can cut it off where a frosted finish isn't required (e.g. the lamp isn't visible).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I suspect GLS halogens are banned with GLS lamps.

Non-GLS halogens can remain, as long as they're Energy class C (or higher). The only ones I know of today which meet this are GE's 225W and 375W K9's which replace 300W and 500W K9's and have an internal infra-red coating to reflect the heat back onto the filament. (I use a 225W to light my back garden, although it's rather rarely used in practice.)

GE produce a whole range of these IR reflecting halogens in the US. Some time back, I asked them why they didn't in the UK, and they said there was no market for them here -- people who care about energy efficiency generally don't buy halogens at all. I guess there might be a change in this stance in the light of the new regulations. This technology is only suitable for certain shaped halogen capsules though (linear tubes probably being the best).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's all very well but the way energy prices are going, you'll need a second job to run the bloody things.

Reply to
brass monkey