patronising digital advert

I've just seen an advert on BBC-1 for the government's digital switchover help scheme. This is intended to help those over 75 make the switch from analogue to digital TV. The advert showed a garulous old fool who seemed to lack social awareness and common sense. The young relative and the young engineer exchanged meaningful glances, as if to say, "She can't help being daft; she's old." How incredibly patronising and insulting this is to the very people they claim to be helping. It seems that in modern Britain, whilst racism is almost a capital offence, ageism is officially condoned.
Incidentally, anyone with elderly friends or relatives who don't use the net but might benefit from sensible non-patronising advice about analogue switch-off should help them access the information on www.paras.org.uk
Bill

Totally agree!. Don't they -ever- think that one day they'll be old to?..

Indeed:))..
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

You don't when you're in your twenties, and that's the root problem.
--
Mark
Mark Carver wrote:

One of two roots. The other is - why are people that age in charge of the ad. campaign anyway?
Andy

Not exactly the same topic but why do females allow themselves to be presented as totally air-headed or vacuous on TV adverts.
SWMBO was watching "true movies" this afternoon the film had been edited into 7-8 minute segments between which were replayed exactly the same sequence of adverts one of which showed a woman with a scabby kid about six years old who had stained his T-shirt with pizza topping. As if by magic another female dressed in a pink jump suit appears from nowhere with an "intelligent" washing powder and saves the day - mugs of instant coffee all round leaving the woman appearing a poor 3rd in the intelligence stakes behind the scabby 6 year old kid and the washing powder.
Last advert in the sequence was a woman who burst into song because she could play Lotto / HTML one arm bandit games on the internet for 20p a go.
What an empty meaningless life they must lead.
Derek
Derek Geldard wrote:

He he, University challenge was a treat this evening, a team of lovely young women whipping the asses off the boys, final score 260 to 120.. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mkggt

Was this before the watershed?
Bill
It was probably in the watershed, or was that the woodshed?
grin.
Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
Bill Wright wrote:

Well in the cold light of day definitely after my watershed, which usually starts around 8.00 PM..
On 31 Aug, 22:30, Derek Geldard wrote:

What do you expect from people who grew up with Barbie dolls instead of train sets as children.
Owain
Owain wrote:

:) Quite!

Gov ministers love giving contracts to quangos run or chaired by their friends / relatives / children.
Every party since the war has claimed it will reduce quangos when they get into office, then when they do they realise it's an easy and legal way to funnel large quantities of taxpayers money to friends and relatives.
As we don't have any anti-racketeering laws in the UK, our contractual law is a farce and would be illegal in more civilised countries
Nepotism you know it makes sense.
Steve Terry

Like where?
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:03:45 +0100, Zimmy wrote:

Australia, Canada, New Zealand.

'Cos they've already retired off all of the old duffers at the Beeb ?
HTH
Paul.
tony sayer wrote:

And *WHAT* were your thoughts on 'oldies' when you were in your teens, twenties, thirties - and possibly forties when you were showing them how to use that new fangled invention called the video recorder - or even early mobile phones? ;-)
Cash
Cash wrote:

I wouldn't mind betting that there are plenty of people in their sixties' nudging seventies contributing to this newsgroup who wouldn't mind a pound for every technical problem they've sorted out for people less than half their age ;-)

...or even over seventy. Yes, please!
--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.

A big yes here! Although I don't hear so many of the heart-sinking statements that I used to hear: "So I reformatted the hard disk. Defragging hard disk seems to be all the rage now.
--
James Follett. http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
http://www.pbase.com/jamesfollett http://www.bevanwilson.co.uk/media/files/Stro

Indeed.
But if we're talking about people one sixth of my age, that could be a different matter...
Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access /