patronising digital advert

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Naw. Some can whinge about jeopardy posting, though. JF

Reply to
james

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Same thing that happened to logical, chronological posting! JF

Reply to
james

That one's atmospheric pressure.

Same thing can happen to hot water cylinders :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Derek Geldard

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 00:20:32 +0100, Java Jive wrote: snipped >>

Ah yes.That was Panorama with Mr Dimblebum Snr.

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Simples.

Our local coffee bar uses steam from the espresso machine to collapse pop bottles before they are put in the bin for collection by a quite expensive waste service that charges by volume.

I was away training on D-Day and the quite old & poorly educated ladies in the canteen had no problems with decimal currency (Been trained you see) whereas the graduate engineers in the queue just boggled when their time came to pay.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Like where?

Zimmy

...and meaningful relevant contributions to a thread.

Zimmy

Reply to
Max Demian

It can! I saw the results in an office kitchen when the plumbed-in hot water boiler (substitute for a kettle) had been emptied of hot water to make many cups of coffee and tea in the space of a few minutes. The cold tap was turned on to refill it. The lid was an airtight fit -- Bang! -- one crumpled boiler! The tea lady who had been innocently using it was almost as damaged, mentally, as the boiler. She recovered but the boiler didn't.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

I realised after I posted that one big difference between the Fox (American) commercial and the BBC one described is that the Fox one had a voiceover giving instructions and an old lady, and her wires, becoming confused. There was no one else on screen. It was open to viewers of all ages to think "I'd be just as confused as her".

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

I wonder if Time Team would like to do a dig there?

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

James, Brian Gaff is blind. His style of posting is dictated by practical considerations.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Why do flour mills explode?

Connect a funnel to a (longish) length of tubing. Block the bottom of the funnel with a loose plug of tissue and pour flour into the funnel. Place a lighted candle on the top of a wall or similar, a couple of inches from the edge. Hold funnel against wall and place 7lb biscuit tin or similar over both candle and funnel, so that funnel is held in place btween tin and wall. Blow sharply down tubing. The tin may travel some considerable distance, so stand well clear!

EXPLAIN

Reply to
Terry Casey

The same reason that explosions occurred in some cotton mills.

>Connect a funnel to a (longish) length of tubing.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Reply to
tony sayer

Brian is blind and uses a screen reader of some sort.

Bottom posting is a problem when used with a screen reader as it is difficult to find the content. It may seem logical to bottom post but that doesn't make it correct once you understand all the implications.

Reply to
dennis

See, I said people don't understand HiFi.

Headphones, even 99p ones, are usually more HiFi than even the best speakers. However mp3 is poor, very poor.

Reply to
dennis

Good concise explanation. Probably better than I could have said it.

5/5

Please always reply to news group as the email address in this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the contact addresses at:

Java Jive

Just as well the thing didn't have a big heater in the bottom or the opposite could have happened as the water boiled rapidly. Which reminds me of the c*ck-up the mythbusters made with the steam cannon myth. How they came to the idea that, plugging a cannon and filling it with water, then heating it to make steam was the same as heating it till it was really hot and then chucking the water in, I will never understand. One would do little, the other would work as a cannon needless to say they choose the wrong one.

Reply to
dennis