Tree House's off the shelf or in kit form

Is it possible to buy a tree house off the shelf or in kit form? In some ways this would be difficult to do as all locations will be different, but anything that would make construction easier would be welcome. Thanks

< groan >

You are entering a world of pain. Nothing you do will ever be good enough.

I'll post some pictures of my efforts shortly...

In retrospect, I'd say this:

1) Build a basic frame for the platform using normal joists. Build this in-situ, otherwise it will be too heavy to move into place.

2) If the design involves spanning 2 or more trees, you *must* allow for sway. This is *much* more than you will imagine. Many inches, even at platform height with substantial trees.

My design involved suspending the main platform from shortish chain sections and eye-bolts. Other solutions would be to have only short 'supporters' attached to each tree, and have the main joists simply sitting on top of these, allowing for slippage.

3) Use normal decking for the platform.

4) If they want an 'enclosed' section, I'd suggets shoving a B+Q chaep-as-chips shed / wendyhouse on the platform, as custom building is never-ending.

5) If the joists / decking thing is overkill for your intended design, then look at simply modifying a cheap Bodgit+Quick shed / summerhouse.
Reply to
Ron Lowe

Yes. OTOH, never hand over the design to the kids, either :-) (ours actually had an escape pod, just in case everything started falling down)

Reply to
Jules

You'll spend several hundred quid and it will take three days' hard work. They'll play in it about twice, then it will be left to rot. Finally you'll spend a day taking it down because it will have become dangerous.

Total waste of time, like all expensive toys.

Gumpy Grandad Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's much easier to make the treehouse first, from a scaffold tower and a shed, and then plant some leylandii around it.

Easier to get approval from the OIC Domestic because it's "fur the weans" and you end up with a shed with a fantastic view of the bird next door sunbathing, which the OIC Domestic will never know about because she won't climb the ladder.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've visited a garden which has something a bit like that - but the top is a viewing platform - not closed in.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Just out of interest, *could* planning permission be needed for a treehouse < 2.mumble meters high and in the front of the house.

No reason *cough*

Reply to
Tim S

:)

Reply to
Clot

If you call it a radio antenna it can go up to 15m IIRC.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Need the roof to keep the bird droppings off the flat screen telly and the beer fridge :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This place has a separate building for drinks and food - it's big enough to be a small restaurant. I didn't notice a TV, but there probably is one. They have some really nice greenhouses, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In fact, the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (No 2) England Order 2008 (that't the recent rules to allow "more" things to not require planning permission) states that "raised platforms" with the curtilage of the property are not not considered permitted development - E.1(g). This implies planning permission is required.

and if I'm horribly wrong I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will contradict me!

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

You mean "(i) it would consist of or include- . (i) the construction or provision of a veranda, balcony or raised platform,"

Isn't that designed to ensure you need planning permission for decks above a certain height? Just what height it becomes raised is the question.

Reply to
dennis

Alas I agree. Did the same, work of art, SWMBO now wants rid of it.

Why do we bother?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You do.

30cm. I can't however get a definition of what comprises a 'deck' as opposed to a 'step' or a definition of 'ground'.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman