Off the shelf water inlet valve adapter

Kenmore side by side refer/freezer has a water dispenser leak. Google tells me that it is probably a bad water inlet valve, or low water pressure.. The supply is a R.O. under the sink system that may have variable pressure depending on usage and the RO cycle.

Can I measure or calculate the water pressure at the refrigerator to rule that out as the problem before buying a $70 replacement valve?

I did a flow check through the dispenser and got 5.8 oz of water in 10 sec which should indicate ~20psi if I use a rule of thumb for 1/4" supply lines. Would prefer to put a hose bib pressure gauge on it, but don't have an adapter to make it fit.

I'm looking for an off the shelf adapter for 1/4" line to hose bib or suggest brass fittings to make it myself.

Ice maker works fine.

Reply to
Stumpy

Most refrigerator makers recommend not hooking up to an RO system. Mostly because of ice maker problems, but yours seems OK. I'd guess low water pressure since the valve is opening.

Sorry, I don't know what fitting you'd need.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This article might be of interest re RO vs refrig

"Many new ice machines require 30-40 PSI (pounds per square inch) to function properly. A residential RO system drops the incoming pressure by 30-35% If you are starting out with 70-80 PSI, that is acceptable, but if the incoming water pressure is 40-60 PSI, there may be a problem. Volume and pressure are separate problems. You may have enough pressure to operate an ice machine, but not sufficient volume"

Re fitting, consider using this

with this

Retired

Thanks for all this info. My supply pressure to the RO system is 58psi, so that could be my problem right there.

That would work. I may feel silly spending $10 to adapt an $8 gauge, but I'd get over it.

Wife insists on RO ice cubes and I won't install a pressure booster. Have ordered the dual valve because Amazon has the Whirlpool OEM one for only $20. It's worth a shot.

Reply to
Stumpy