Icemaker inlet valve stripped!

Back of fridge I tried to attach a brass fitting on to my plastic threaded fridge fitting, garden hose size. I used too much force ,stripped about 3-4 threads, and can't thread it on properly now. It leaks for sure. Am I screwed or is there a way around this? To replace plastic unit is about $50? Keep baggin' ice?

Reply to
hampton619

You can try and clean up the threads with the correct size pipe tap. Take your time and be careful because plastic cuts very easily as you have discovered.

Reply to
Eric9822

You should be able to f*ck with it and get past those 3-4 threads. Do it with something that matches the size and clean it up a bit then go for it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Before I'd spend $50 on a replacement, I'd check for plastic fittings available at hardware/building stores. You might be able to redesign what you have and make it better.

Fridge manufacturers and designers don't hold all the secrets.

Reply to
franz frippl

I've never seen an fridge icemaker with a "garden hose size" inlet. Your description sounds like there is a male thread on the icemaker valve which you were screwing a female threaded fitting onto. Is that it?

Could you post a photo or explain it a little more?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A lot of I/M water valves do have a hose thread fitting with a brass adapter that goes from hose to 1/4" flare or compression-- some go from hose to 1//4 or 1/8 female pipe thread, and then another brass fittiing screwing into that. If you can't get the threads straightened out enough for the adapter to screw on securely, you will have no choice but to replace the valve. Shop around--$50 is awfully high. Do not take a chance patching or rigging this thing-- the possibility of major water damage is too great unless this box is outside on a porch or some such. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30