Do they make a tool to clean up threads on a garden hose?

Both ends of my garden hoses are kind of beaten up but the brass is still thick and strong.

Do they make a relatively inexpensive (as compared to the hose) tool to clean up those threads?

The problem is this is a one-time use only and I asked at Orchard Supply who said they don't make such a "thread chaser" for garden hose threads.

They had "thread files" for regular SAE threads, but not garden hoses.

They have taps and dies for pipes, but it would be cheaper ($50 per hose) to buy another good-quality 3/4" all-rubber hose than to buy an expensive tap & die even if it were made (which OSH says is not).

What would YOu use to clean up an old, but, still strong, solid brass garden hose threads?

Reply to
Brent

a brass hose nozzle

Reply to
chaniarts

A small triangular file, about 1/8" on a side.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Would depend largely on just how badly they're beat up; don't know why would be such, particularly the spigot connection (female) end.

Any thin file or hone would let you touch up external threads; interior would take some finagling, depending again on what/where the damage is.

I'd look for solid taps/dies on places like eBay or CL; one can find old Craftsman or other brand stuff on occasion that comes from estates or other similar sources for not too much sometimes. I've not looked; it might even be possible to find some really cheap HF or similar import stuff that would be adequate for the purpose.

Alternatively, use some regular steel fittings to see if they'll chase the brass; it being somewhat softer. Some coarse grit compound could help maybe.

I've got a full-range set of pipe dies up to 2" in an inherited set of Craftsman from grandfather that date back to 30's and taps to 1" similar age. Found a Ridgid adjustable on eBay reasonable a couple years ago for 1" - 2-1/2" so haven't worried about looking recently.

--

Reply to
dpb

=3D=3D I just use a battery post cleaner...you know, the pointy end for the battery clamps. If that is too harsh a fine emery cloth in folds can follow the threads. In all cases don't use too much pressure to prevent deep scratches especially with the battery brush. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Seems to me a regular set of black or galvanized fittings would help more given they're harder than the brass...

--

Reply to
dpb

If they are machined brass couplings, you can clean them up with a file. If they are the much more common rolled brass couplings filing won't work since the material is too thin. Normally the best route is to purchase quality replacement fittings, cut the old ones off the hose and install the new ones.

Reply to
Pete C.

I like these- Gilmour zinc hose menders- $4-6

dealt with deerso, just the first link I found

It is 3/4 pipe so taps & dies will do it--

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Ignore...hose threads aren't NPT...

--

Reply to
dpb

You can get thread files. I have a couple. They are square and have a different thread on each side and one each end making 8 different threads on the file.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

dpb wrote: ...

Ignore...hose thread isn't NPT.

--

Reply to
dpb

Any reason you don't want to replace the ends?

They have cheap ones and they have goods ones, but even the good ones are cheaper than new hose.

Just curious...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

jamesgangnc

How can you say that Jim?

3/4" NPT pipe threads are 14 TPI and tapered.

US GHT (Garden Hose Thread) is 11.5 TPI and straight.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

-snip-

Apparent brain fart? I can remember looking for *some* fitting for a particular purpose & asking my hardware guy where he was hiding them. "You can use 3/4 pipe" he said--- and it worked.

Now if I could only remember what *that* was.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Get a set of Nicholson locksmith files, and clean them up manually. Aren't those 3/4" standard threads that would clean up with a run through in a die? I guess it would depend on how boogered up they are, and if the opening was out of round. That's fairly soft stuff, and should clean up easily. Fergeddabout those little flimsy cheapy sheet metal hose connectors. Even plastic is better than those.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Most are a POS, and not much better than the boogered one on there. I personally like the plastic ones than the thin metal ones, and I have yet to see good heavy brass repair ends.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B
53358$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

re: "I have yet to see good heavy brass repair ends"

These choices all *look* good, but who knows.

DerbyDad03

If you want to fix it cheaply just find or borrow any 12 thread per inch tap. Use it as if it was a internal or external thread file.

Reply to
tnom