Sticky Garden Hose (2023 Update)

I've had some of my garden hoses get sticky to the touch after they've been out in the sun for a summer or more. They get really sticky...like they have tree sap on them, the entire length of the hose. Bummer having to keep replacing 50 and 100 foot hoses. The hoses in the backyard, in the shade, last forever.

It doesn't seem to matter what type of hose, vinyl or rubber coated, they all get sticky after a year or so ex[posed to the sun.

What is going on, and any suggestins as to what type of hose to use to avoid this? I have to have the hoses in the sun,

TIA

Reply to
Boris

Boris wrote in news:XnsA7C4AD8678151nospamnospaminvalid@213.239.209.88:

Googling tells me the stickiness is the vinyl breaking down.

I spoke too soon about rubber hoses also getting sticky...after reading that rubber shouldn't get sticky, I re-examined what I thought was a rubber hose of mine, and it turns out it was black vinyl, and was getting sticky.

Reply to
Boris

I stopped buying the inexpensive hoses and only buy rubber garden hoses made by Goodyear / Continental. They are not cheap, but they last seemingly forever. The one I use for the horses is at least 25 years old and still going strong.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

More likely what you are seeing is the plasticizer in the vinyl bleeding out. Without plasticizer vinyl is pretty stiff as like PVC pipe and you will find it used to soften the PVC in seat covers, shower curtains, hoses and the like.

Plenty of websites to explain use and what they are chemically:

Hopefully enough will remain so the hose does not stiffen and possibly break.

Reply to
Frank

The solution, you now know, is to buy a rubber hose next time.

Splurge and get a Eley Rapid Reel for it and it will last about forever. I've had mine for about 6 years now and it makes life easier.

Ed Pawlowski

I don't think they're vinyl but I've had the same problem with motorcycle and bicycle handlebar grips. Once you wear through the skin they material turns into a sticky mess. Some do, some don't and I've never figured out the whys and wherefores.

Reply to
rbowman

Yup good hoses are worth the money

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, they are. And I don't mind spending the money. You get what you pay for, and you don't get what you don't pay for.

Reply to
Boris

Stormin' Norman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Such as:

Parker

Craftsman

Continental

Continental

Reply to
Boris

Not sure if you are asking a question. I buy 3/4" x 100ft goodyear rubber hoses.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman
[snip]

I like rubber hoses too, but they are heavy and not as easily moved.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I find they last forever and have much less tendency to kink and, they don't damage easily if one of the draft horses steps on them or if a vehicle runs over them.

However, one of the bored goats did chew a hole in one once. I cut it apart, used a piece of copper pipe and hose clamps to splice it together and it is still in service ten years later.

I also use old steel wheels as hose reels. I paint them, then lag them to structures or to 4x4 posts and they are perfect for the job.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

buy the cheap stuff AND two cheap cans of white spray paint. Paint the new3 hoses white to protect them from sun damage,

Reply to
tho52mas

I bought an expensive rubber hose and same thing - after about 18 months its turned into a sticky horrible mess that I can't get rid of. It ended up at the tip. My cheap hose hasn't had te same thing happen - only the so called top quality hose???

Reply to
MartyBoomSticks

Have you ever entertained the thought of naming the brand of the "expensive", "top quality hose", maybe an internet link to a company ad too, so that we know what you are talking about, huh?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"ribber" hoses get sticky if they get oily. Vinyl hoses don't

Reply to
Clare Snyder