Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

The male ends of many of my garden hoses have become somewhat chewed up and I want to re-thread them properly. I have looked in my Mc Master-Carr catalog under Die and GHT (Garden Hose Thread) but there is no listing for the proper die .. either re-threading or primary. I am sure that it is there under the proper size & pitch but I do not know what that might be. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Norm

Save yourself the trouble. At some hardware stores & garden centers, I've found plastic replacement ends that are very rugged. I don't recall the brand name, but it's one of the makers of sprayers & other hose accessories. Green plastic - easy to spot on peg hangers. You cut off the metal end, and insert the replacement into the hose, which is a bitch unless you spit on it or apply just a little silicone spray or something similar. Then, you attach the supplied clamps around the outside of the hose. I've got 20 year old hoses I've fixed this way and the threads are still in good shape.
Buy extras when you find them.

Yep, replace the ends. Before heading to the store be sure to know the inside diameter of the hose - cut off the old end about an inch back and take your measurement. For an easy and safe-for-hose- material lubricant use some PAM (petroleum grease may breakdown the hose). Spit doesn't stretch very far and you may find yourself with the new end halfway on and stuc right there. Not fun.

I just dip the end in boiling water for about 30 seconds. They push right on that way.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Brand name is usually Gilmore. AND THEY ARE MADE N HE USA< TOO< not China. Come from Pennsylvania, I thin.
I use a pour of cooking oil, (corn, canola, olive, whatever) to lube the inside of he hose. Dip finger in il, liberally coat inside of ose, put more oil n plastic barbed insert and isert.
Great product.

Thanks for the two replies. I have quite a few of those replacement ends .. both plastic and brass. HOWEVER !!! The internal surface of my hoses are hexagonal in shape .. not circular. Regardless of what type of repair product I use and regardless of how tight I clamp down .. they LEAK. I am 70 years of age and have been playing "repair the hose" most of my life with great success. These hoses just do not accept the repair "kits".
So, once again .. any idea of where I can get a re-threading die?
Norm
NSN wrote:

Hi, Tried wrapping the repair fitting with some tapes and tighten with hose clamp?

The threads do not seal the hose, only the gasket inside.
If screwing them together is what is rough and difficult, wire brush the male and female ends, them polish them with a little automobile wax.
If fresh gaskets do not seal the connections, you need new ends or a new hose.
-zero

NSN wrote:

Here is a fairly accurate (but not completely) rundown of threads for fuild connections
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipethreadsizing.html
this link has better (IMO) / overlapping descriptions
http://www.dent-mfg.com/threadsizes.htm
the problem lies in that not all pipe thread is tapered, some is straight
garden hose thread is a slightly different animal (straight thread) larger OD than 3/4 pipe AND coarser thread!
http://www.acehose.com/threadinfo.htm
even more thread info..............
http://www.gates.com/downloads/files/catalogs/Hose_coupling_04.pdf#search=%22ght%20die%20hose%22
To answer Norm's orignal question........
I struck out finding an "off the shelf" soultion
even at MSC.com (lot of special threads) I couldn't find it
you could give these guys a call, they might have it
www.victornet.com 1-800-723-5359
If you've just gotta have one.........you could have it custom made http://www.tapcousa.com/default.asp
or http://www.widell.com/ these guys had the GHT tap stock, but not the die :(
http://www.widell.com/2005catalog.pdf#search=%22%223%2F4-11%201%2F2%22%20%20thread%20die%22
cheers Bob

Why do we always get the "HOWEVER" after the fact? For the cost of a new die, you can buy a new 125 foot hose at WalMart with a 10 year gaurantee.
wrote in message

thank you.

Even better yet, go to Sears and buy one of their 'Craftsman' logo life time guarantee hoses. They're black, possibly real rubber, available in if I recall correctly, 50 and 75 foot lengths, and have beefy for real machined brass couplings... not the flimsy stamped sheet metal ones like most hoses today.
Check the packaging and make sure it has the 'Craftsman' logo and lifetime guarantee info on the packaging, as not all Sears hoses are lifetime.
They initially cost a few of bucks more, but unless lost or stolen, will be the last hose you buy. Sears is great about replacing worn out/damaged hoses without question, no receipt required! Through the years I've probably taken back 5 or 6 for various reasons... including one the gardner damaged with his mower. (I outright told them the reason for the damage to this one, and they still replaced it on the spot!)
The downside is they tend to rub what appears to be black oxidized rubber material off into your hands once they get to be a a few years old, but for the most part said material seems to flush off easy with just a little water.
Hose tip... if you coil your hose up on the ground, and space permitting, try laying it out in a figure '8' pattern. So stored, you can pick up the end, and pull the out hose full length kink free! Just keep the end from dropping through any of the figure eight end loops...
Erik

Good qustion.
For the cost of a new

But then he wouldn't get to buy a new tool.

"There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
NSN wrote:

Your regional forest fire depot has a set and if you ask them really nicely when there is nothing burning they will "chase" the threads for you. Garden hose threads are used in mop up kits.
--
Tom Horne

replying to NSN, DMAZ wrote: The size of GHT is 3/4 x 11.5 pitch and I am looking for the same repair die. I am NOT interested in adding clunky clamps at the ends of hoses, and would prefer sometimes to just restore the threads. It seems like a tool everyone should own, so where are they?
On 6/12/18 10:44 PM, DMAZ wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if the die costs more that a new hose section...
--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

On 6/12/18 9:44 PM, DMAZ wrote:

These <(Amazon.com product link shortened)28892743&sr=1-9&keywords=garden+hose+repair+fittings> don't look so bad to me. They don't have the stainless hose clamp sticking out. Some of us let nature take its course. I look forward to mid to late summer when grass turns that nice tan color.
NSN wrote:

Norm I believe you will find it far easier to install a new hose end. The one shown at <http://www.125west.com/Claber_Lawn_Garden_Watering_Systems_Solid_Brass_water_connector.html is probably your best option as it does not require an external clamp to hold it on the hose.
--
Tom Horne

"people willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve
NSN writes:

Garden hose threads are ANSI/ASME standard B1.20.7.
The designation is:
.75-11.5NH (cut, formed, or rolled), or .75-11.5NHR (thin wall formed).
See _Machinery's Handbook_ 26th edition, pp 1841-2.
I can't seem to find any sources for taps or dies, either.