Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:05:48 -0500, Richard J Kinch

THANKS to all for your replies. I did locate a die at www.tapcousa.com by using their 800 number and giving them the above specs. They have two in stock which I left there since they wanted $136.00 plus shipping to be relieved of one of them.
As someone mentioned, I can replace all my hoses for that amount.
I do have a standard pipe re-threading set and used its file with the #12 grooves and it worked quite well but left a rough finish. I smoothed it out a bit with the wire brush I use on my BBQ and it ended up looking good. The problem I had before all this was that it would not screw into my plastic quick-disconnects without serious binding. All is well now helped a bit by silicone grease.
For those interested I did find an external threader (11.5) in the Mc Master catalog but it was $89.00. A bit better than $136 but still a bit expensive.
Again .. thanks to all.
Norm
NSN wrote:

Norm-
Pretty cool / useful tool at McMaster
Replaceable Die External Thread Restorer 2630A12 Tool comes with dies for thread sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 1/2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11 1/2, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 24 threads per inch. OD range is 1 1/4" to 5".
but even a tool junkie such as I wouldn't buy one but I could see the need for such a tool where LOTS of hose were in use. One could chase / clean up the ends faster & cheaper than replacing
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

It would require a heck of a garden hose w/ 1-1/4" OD minimum!!! :)
But even if it went to the 3/4" OD, garden hose ends are still thin wall formed, not cut and not as deep as pipe thread. An NPT die of the same diameter would cut through or nearly through the root diameter of a formed NH thread.

Several of my hoses ( the good ones) have heavy brass ends which are cut and look just like pipe threads ... but the are not tapered. These are the ones I wanted to re-thread.
Norm
NSN wrote: ...

I've never seen a garden hose w/ that style an end--have a bunch of the NPT to NH brass adapters which are, but not on the hose itself. Wasn't considering that possibility and didn't get that from the original post (obviously :) )...
In that case, however, I can see the point and can understand them getting munged up more than a regular garden hose. Guess there's no free lunch, is there? :)
dpb wrote:

lower cost thread restorer?
http://www.nes.co.il/external.html
This is an old thread, but we may have found the real answer, finally:
http://www.chasertool.com/ for $12
Since I got here by googling for just this sort of thing, maybe this will help someone else.
-dB
On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:53:23 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

Website won't open.
On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 11:49:42 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're message wont open either. Next time, use a computer instead of that 1940's typewriter you have now.
NSN wrote:

HD & others make a brass cutoff valve for the hose end. If you use one of them, it will not have to come off the hose - the adapter will take all future punishment rather than the hose end itself.
Bob
NSN wrote:

As noted, you're probably not going to find a die or tap for a garden hose thread. The problem is, the male ends aren't cut threads anyway on anything except perhaps the brass NPT/hose adapters--they're formed. The female ends are so shallow that you would need a bottom tap and probably couldn't reach but a portion of the first thread, anyway, even if you had one.
The suggestion to simply clean up the surfaces seems best suggestion. If there is some real roughness perhaps the wire brush on the grinder might make it go a little quicker.
Perhaps a thread repair file would do the trick; e.g.,

dpb wrote:

Bennett Price wrote:

Actually, after I finished, I realized probably the easiest and best solution for the male threads would be some fine emory cloth. Since the male hose ends are formed, not cut anyway, they don't have sharp bottoms and it's more than likely just some rough edges on the end and the outer diameter from dragging exposed ends over concrete sidewalks, etc., that is the culprit. (Of course, that brings up the "don't do that!" mantra... :) )

The garden hose thread is considered a separate thread from pipe thread, however, 1/2 inch pipe (or is it 3/4? can't remember for sure right now and don't have one with me to look at) has the same thread count and diameter is close enough. OTOH, the thread itself is coarse enough that it isn't hard to do with a 3 corner file.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

No, those nominal NPT diameters are 14 tpi, not 11.5 tpi like the garden hose.
1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, and 2 inches NPT are 11.5 tpi, but much larger diameter.
And they're all tapered.
A few minutes with a handsaw file and you should be able to clean up the threads pretty well. Most of these threads are rolled so finding a die is gonna be hell. NSN wrote:

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Garden-Hose-End-Re-thread-Die-141079-.htm arielsq4 wrote: I had a similiar problem and a comprehensive internet search for a tap and die for the 3/4 X 11.5 garden hose thread was without success. I did find an OTC #7402 Outside Thread Chaser at Amazon.com that includes a 11.5 tpi thread cutter that cleans up the hose threads on my water valves pretty good. It is pricey at $75 but it will be useful for other thread sizes too. The spec states that it is only for pipes > 1.25 inches but I found that at minimum setting it will just work on faucet hose connection threads.Problem solved forever I hope. Maurice NSN wrote:

------------------------------------- f3a4dd07ae447ddf58a428ad8645eaeb

Use something like this
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
They come in various sizes available at Lowes or HD

replying to NSN, mac wrote: Zoro Tools
On 3/31/2017 7:44 AM, mac wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but the original poster no longer needs a garden hose. In the nursing home he has an unlimited supply of catheters.