Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

No, those nominal NPT diameters are 14 tpi, not 11.5 tpi like the garden hose.

1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, and 2 inches NPT are 11.5 tpi, but much larger diameter.

And they're all tapered.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Norm-

Pretty cool / useful tool at McMaster

Replaceable Die External Thread Restorer 2630A12 Tool comes with dies for thread sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 1/2, 8, 9, 10, 11,

11 1/2, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 24 threads per inch. OD range is 1 1/4" to 5".

but even a tool junkie such as I wouldn't buy one but I could see the need for such a tool where LOTS of hose were in use. One could chase / clean up the ends faster & cheaper than replacing

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Brand name is usually Gilmore. AND THEY ARE MADE N HE USA< TOO< not China. Come from Pennsylvania, I thin.

I use a pour of cooking oil, (corn, canola, olive, whatever) to lube the inside of he hose. Dip finger in il, liberally coat inside of ose, put more oil n plastic barbed insert and isert.

Great product.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

It would require a heck of a garden hose w/ 1-1/4" OD minimum!!! :)

But even if it went to the 3/4" OD, garden hose ends are still thin wall formed, not cut and not as deep as pipe thread. An NPT die of the same diameter would cut through or nearly through the root diameter of a formed NH thread.

Reply to
dpb

Several of my hoses ( the good ones) have heavy brass ends which are cut and look just like pipe threads ... but the are not tapered. These are the ones I wanted to re-thread.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

Reply to
bamboo

NSN wrote: ...

I&#39;ve never seen a garden hose w/ that style an end--have a bunch of the NPT to NH brass adapters which are, but not on the hose itself. Wasn&#39;t considering that possibility and didn&#39;t get that from the original post (obviously :) )...

In that case, however, I can see the point and can understand them getting munged up more than a regular garden hose. Guess there&#39;s no free lunch, is there? :)

Reply to
dpb

lower cost thread restorer?

BobK207

HD & others make a brass cutoff valve for the hose end. If you use one of them, it will not have to come off the hose - the adapter will take all future punishment rather than the hose end itself.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I just dip the end in boiling water for about 30 seconds. They push right on that way.

Reply to
maradcliff

------------------------------------- f3a4dd07ae447ddf58a428ad8645eaeb

Reply to
arielsq4

Use something like this

They come in various sizes available at Lowes or HD

Reply to
Caesar Romano

This is an old thread, but we may have found the real answer, finally:

for $12

Since I got here by googling for just this sort of thing, maybe this will help someone else.

-dB

Reply to
dbrower

Website won't open.

Reply to
rodder7

You're message wont open either. Next time, use a computer instead of that 1940's typewriter you have now.

Reply to
Paintedcow

replying to NSN, mac wrote: Zoro Tools

Reply to
mac

Thanks for the reply, but the original poster no longer needs a garden hose. In the nursing home he has an unlimited supply of catheters.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to NSN, DMAZ wrote: The size of GHT is 3/4 x 11.5 pitch and I am looking for the same repair die. I am NOT interested in adding clunky clamps at the ends of hoses, and would prefer sometimes to just restore the threads. It seems like a tool everyone should own, so where are they?

Reply to
DMAZ

Wouldn't be surprised if the die costs more that a new hose section...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

These don't look so bad to me. They don't have the stainless hose clamp sticking out. Some of us let nature take its course. I look forward to mid to late summer when grass turns that nice tan color.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman