"Professional" garden hose ends machine wanted

Does anyone know if its possible to buy a machine that puts the factory type ends on garden hoses? I hate those replacement ends they sell in hardware stores. The plastic ones are crap. They end up getting cross threaded, and it becomes a major fight to get them on the faucet. The only other ones they sell are the brass ones that use a hose clamp. Those are real nasty on the hands, because that hose clamp tears up my hands.

I'd be willing to pay a fair amount of money for a professional crimping tool if I could use the factory type ends.

Reply to
me

[snip justifiable complaints about available replacement hardware]

I suspect that it's *much* cheaper to buy brand-new hoses.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Those are real nasty on the hands, because that hose

Not true, try shopping somewhere else. I've long used this style of "crimp on" couplings and they've worked fine for me.

I've seen the same design around for at least 40 years, so other folks must have found them as satisfactory as I have.

Try 'em,

Jeff

P.S. Copy and paste the link above into your browser if it's too long to click on.

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Yes, I remember those things, they used to be available, and worked great on RUBBER hoses. I tend to wonder how well they work on the newer type of hoses (vinyl or whatever they are). I can not find them locally. I am a farmer and tend to go thru lots of hoses. Livestock are hard on them, they step on the ends, etc. That's why it would be to my advantage to own the tool I mentioned if it was not real costly. I'd assume there is both a costly electric or hydraulic model, and a less costly hand tool. My other problem is that these rural stores are very limited in what they carry.

The problem with ordering online is that the hose end is $1.90, but the shipping is $10.08 for one end (same for 2 ends). At that rate, I may as well buy a new hose. I know I could ship one of them for one dollar or less. Thats why I hate ordering online.

Reply to
me

I would be suprised if there *was* a hand tool available at any price you would consider reasonable.

Have you established that you actually can buy the OEM style crimp-on style hose ends in the small quantities you'll be using?

If you can, then start looking around for an old 3-jaw lathe chuck with a large enough through hole to clear a female hose end. Remove the chuck jaws and sculpt them with an angle grinder so that they have the correct shape to duplicate that factory crimping you so admire. That should enable you to do the crimping you need with a couple of tightenings of the chuck and repositionings of the hose.

Seems like a long run for a short slide though.

I've also been impressed with the plastic hose end couplings which fasten on with a two piece clamp tightened with two screws. The ones I've used are made from a very tough plastic, I'd be suprised if an animal hoof would damage them. They look like this one:

Good luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

They are what I consider light duty and I use a lot of them. Usually have to replace the one that is on the faucet at least every two years as stress cracks them right behind the screw on ferrule. same is true of the male end if any sidewise stress is put on them very often.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Those are what I have used quite often. I agree they go on the hose easily, the problem is that they like to cross thread on the spigot, and when one puts them on an off every day of the year, especially in freezing weather, the next thing I cross threaded them entirely. When my tush is freezing, I dont even notice if I tightened it hard, and cross threaded it. Actually, I do have one fitting I like. I cross threaded the thing to the point ot was beyond use. I bought a brass end with a hose clamp, and instead of using the hose clamp, I used the plastic clamp from the original plastic end.

I have not looked for a source for the factory ends yet. I figure whoever sells the tool, would have them. But they are practically the same as the hose clamp ones, but instead of the hose clamp, they use that brass ferrile (ferele)

Thanks to all

Reply to
me

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

A real factory tool is probably a pneumatic device that costs a couple thousand dollars.

Why not take a different approach. If cross threading is a problem, eliminate the threads. Are you hooking the hose to the same faucet? If so, thee are adapters with quick disconnects that will serve you well. Any industrial hose supplier should be able to set you up easily. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

you need to replace /upgrade your hoses - take a look at this link :

they come in 50 75 & 100 ft lifetime guarantee so if the break you get a new one free - very string couples on each end - and i would suggest also useing the quick disconnects too - then no problems with cross threaading etc.

Reply to
<1

If you order fifty of the hose ends and keep them on-hand for when you need them, then the cost of shipping isn't so bad.

I suspect that companies that manufacture hoses have some sort of big macine that crimps the end on the hose automatically. I doubt that a tool exists that crimps the ends on hoses one at a time.

Food for thought: Necessity is the mother of invention. (In other words, look for another solution to the problem.)

Can you stick a railroad tie in the ground or a 4x4, to hang the end of the hose so that your animals won't step on the ends?

I suggest you find and contact the company who actually manufactures the hose and tell them of the difficulties you have. Maybe they'll be able to come up with some sort of solution.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

I stand corrected. Fortythree bucks ain't bad for such a limited demand the tool, but it looks like the fittings average out to about five bucks apiece.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Check out this URL:

Ron

I would go to any place listed under "Hydraulics & Pneumatics" in your yellow page phone directory and see if they can give you the name of the manufacturer of the machine they use to crimp the ends onto the hydraulic hoses they make up for customers.

It's very possible that they may even be able to order the garden hose ends suitable for crimping onto plastic or rubber hose from the same manufacturers that produce the ends for hydraulic hoses.

Reply to
nestork

Parker Hannifin, Gates, Weatherhead. Prices start at around $2000 for the portable units, plus dies.

Reply to
rbowman

replying to Doug Miller, Mike Marquette wrote:

look here. I am "this close" to buying this

Reply to
Mike Marquette

I am reluctant to tell you this, but Doug has gone to a better life more than a decade ago.

Reply to
Father Time

I've been deleting all the home owners shrub crap.

Reply to
Frank

Probably a better life that doesn't allow garden hoses.

Reply to
hah

Ten years? Amazingly, the link above still works!

Reply to
John Albert