Leaky kitchen drain

I've got a problem with some leaky pipes below my kitchen sink.

Basically, I've just moved into this apartment. There was no sink or cabinets installed before, just a few corroded pipes. I installed a new double sink and installed the pipes above the trap. Here's a pic of the setup:

Water is backing up, and flowing out of the entry for water from the dishwasher (once it's installed). I've plugged up the hole for the dishwasher, but the water is still backing up.

Is the trap clogged, or could it be something bodged with the way I've set things up? I'm not pretending to be a plumber, but I don't want to talk to the Super if it's something I could repair myself.

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Gordo

Could be many things, but start with the trap. The setup you have does not allow for easy snaking so just take the connector to the trap off. or even take the trap itself off. If clogged, clean it. If not clogged, snake the rest of the line.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also take out the fernco between the plastic and the brass as this may leak, is where the tape is where the dishwasher drains. If you undid the nuts on the pipes did you replace the rings under them if not suggest yiou do. Where is the water coming out of.

Reply to
jim

Old, corroded pipes? I might suspect gunk in drain pipe. Remove your pipes up to the drain and then ream out pipe. Oftentimes waste and corrosion will build up sufficiently to narrow the diameter of the pipe. Especially true if previous occupants put grease down drain or lost a dishrag along the way.

Might be worth hiring reputable drain cleaner if you are not up to task.

Reply to
franz frippl