Clogged kitchen drain

Last night I shaved off my beard. It had been growing since before the superbowl, so it was quite a bit of hair. I was worried that if I ran it down the sink it would clog things up, so I scooped it all up and flushed it instead.

Reply to
Matt

Effi says hair disposed of in that manner can cause cancer.

Reply to
Matt

Jeff, just shut the f*ck up, you little bitch.

Reply to
Matt

Sorry if this has been covered before but...

I have a clogged kitchen drain. There is a disposal on the sink. Running the disposal clear the sink, but the water line settles at the top of the disposal and will not go any lower. I took off the pipes and ran a 25 foot snake, all of it, and found nothing in the way.

Any ideas?

I had a worn out disposal in a rental property once and it was just pushing the food down into the plumbing. Maybe you need to snake out your drain and replace the disposal??? Good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

====================

The disposal is 2 years old, and is top of the line.

I did snake it out -- 25 feet worth of snake -- found nothing in the way.

Anything else?

If you were using a little 1/4" cable-in-a-drum snake, it may not be big enuf to clear a kitchen drain. Often the gooey clog will simply congeal again after the snake leaves.

Rent a bigger hand-held powered snake with bigger cable and cutter. Also, make sure the snake actually goes *down* the drain and not *up* the vent (if it has a vent).

If you are certain there is no vent, you could use one of those expansion plugs that attach to a garden hose to flush the drain under pressure. This can be effective in some cases. Do NOT try it if there is a vent; you may flood the kitchen.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Jim's right here....check the vent next.....That is snake the vent from the roof...that cured some problems for me through the years.....good luck..Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Am I correct in assuming that the flood you refer to occurs when you take out the expansion plug without realizing that you've just pushed water up into and filled the ventpipe all the way to its tippy top?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Kathy

Yes indeedy! What a surprise it makes! Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I've heard you can also toss that kind of coarse hair into the garbage, but I'd probably want to google the subject just to be sure.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Kathy

Not if you line your hat with aluminum foil.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Have you ever tried to drain snake a clogged garbage can? Wow, what a silly idea... throw hair into a garbage bag and set it out to the street.....

some usenet poster. Harumph.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon