Clogged Kitchen Drain

My kitchen drain blocks up when the dishwasher is draining or I run a lot of water. The garbage disposal is clear. Is it possible that gunk has accumulated over the years below the garbage disposal? I tried using drain cleaners, but nothing has helped. Any ideas??

Reply to
Yates AT

pull the trap and the rest of the plumbing underneath you probable have clogged pipes. Just clean them or if the they are too gunky just buy new ones !

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Those clogs on kitchen drains tend to be much further down. Take the trap, etc. apart but if clean then you'll need a power snake to auger the drain out.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have a simular problem with our kitchen sink, it slow to clear and the dishwasher backs up into the sink.

I attribute it to the fact that the distance that my kitchen drain is located far from the main drain pipe for the house and the DWV pipe. Do you know if your plumbing is simular?

Hopefully if I can install an automatic plumbing vent, available from your local hardware store, on my kitchen drain I can cure the problem.

Handi

Reply to
Handi

I kind of doubt this is a venting problem. Kitchen drain lines are very subject to blockage due to grease and food waste. You probably need to snake out the line. It may only need clearing from the cleanout to the main drain, or possibly all the way from the sink.

Reply to
donald girod

1 quart of ammonia, pour in drain. IF clear of other chemicals. Fill tub to the top with hot water. Drain. Repeat at washer location. Pour ammonia in the drain for the washer, wash with hot water or just fill the tub with hot water and drain.

My washer was the culprit in this. It backwashes the lint into the drain. I now use a quart of ammonia once a month, at each location. No problems in 4 years now.

Reply to
SQLit

SQlit - how long do you let the ammonia sit in the drain before flushing with Hot Water? Or do you just let the hot water flush thru right away? Des

Reply to
Des Perado