Question on testing or removing heating element on GE Dryer

Our dryer is not heating - it dates from 1994 - I am suspecting the heating element but am not sure how to get at it - I know it is at the back of the drum but the back panel does not easily come off - I have seen some mention that one has to take the drum out but I am unsure how to do that

Any help would be appreciated ( from a home where all of the 3 teenagers can only seem to put towels on the floor after they hve used them - hanging them up is just too hard I guess)

Reply to
Don

Hi,

A copy:

Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A - Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker ( needs 2! )... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...

A ohm meter test for these parts is below....

Link above also has some take apart helps....but there is more thna one version of a GE dryer.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Along with the other recommendations, check to make sure the dryer vent is not clogged anywhere between the dryer and the outside vent. Check outside at the vent weather cover and make sure it's not stuck shut (if it has louvers or some other "moveable" cover flap(s)). Also make sure the flex vent from back of the dryer to the outside is is not clogged with lint.

A neighbor of ours had this happen, only to find out that the dryer vent exited the house on the roof, and it had a wire "cage" at the end of the vent (to keep out animals/insects, I guess), but the wire was catching most of the link and clogging up -- eventually his new dryer simply wouldn't heat up. Removing the lint immediately fixed it.

Reply to
Vinnie Murdico

No need to remove the drum to test the heater. You'll need an ohm meter or multi-tester and can buy a cheap one for under $10 at Radio Shack or similar store. The top is held down by several screws in the front above the dryer door. Unplug the dryer, remove the screws, raise the top and you'll be able to see the heater terminals on the heater can. Test for continuity and grounds at these terminals before pulling the dryer apart.

"Don" wrote

Reply to
Ed

Older ones yes, newer ones nope.

Depends on the model# and age.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Just the age. He gave you that.

Reply to
Ed

Up here with me they switched to hidden terminals around 1989, in the US it was a few years later....some GE dryers are even a Frigidaire built unit with a GE name tag on it :>O

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid