Dryer GE not heating

Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat. GE electric dryer, 240 volts.

  • Three thermostats, what I'd call thermal cutouts. All of them read 0.5 ohms.
  • Two heater elements, both about 15 ohms
  • Dryer is getting 240 volts, as measured at the plug with the unit running
  • Motor spins fine, drum tumbles. Some lint, but not bad.
  • With dryer running, (and drum out) the element reads 120 volts to ground, but less than one volt from one end of element to the other, or any combination of leads
  • The connection block where the heavy dryer whip (cord) looks fine, no signs of wires burnt off at the connection block.

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is a switch in the motor that holds the element off if the motor does not start. Did you check it?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

In 40+ yrs w/ GE dryers, I have _never_ found the symptom of "runs, but no heat" to be anything other than the elements. Doesn't mean there isn't a case, but I'd look again.

Don't know where the voltages were measured, but it is possible there's a break in one of the leads to the elements themselves if there is one side of the two elements hot but not the other.

Reply to
dpb

Sounds like something internal to the dryer's 240 VAC to Heater unit. Could be some other switch or safety disconnect inside but if you have the ability to measure (very carefully and safely) the 220 VAC to the heating unit I would do that and then start working backwards if you don't have the 220 Volts and suspect the elements or Heating unit itself if you do.

No expert, by any means, just trying to help. Tremendous care though working around electricity and don't touch another appliance or pipe while your touching the dryer or taking your measurements.

Reply to
Gary KW4Z

The only thing I can figure, is the power wires from the swich to the elements, or maybe the three position heat switch.

The elements read about 15 ohms, and about 30 ohms reading both elements.

I got 120 volts to ground at all three element connectors (those round push-ons). But near to zero from one end of the elements to the other.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I didn't know there was such a switch. And, there are several wires that go to the motor. No, I didn't check that switch, didn't even know there was one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My parents had an old dryer which would not heat if the vent was plugged up. The dryer's lint trap was clean, so the alarm didn't go off, but because the exhaust hole was plugged up, the dryer wouldn't heat. I'm guessing it was a safety feature, but I couldn't find it documented in the manual. I cleaned out the vent and the dryer heated up just fine. Of course, YMMV.

Hilary

Reply to
tmclone

If the vent is the problem and you are having trouble cleaning it out, try

Alisa LeSueur Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician

snipped-for-privacy@searchmach> > Got a call from a couple friends, their clothes dryer is no heat.

Reply to
CDET 14

Curious--ever find the problem/solution?

Reply to
dpb

"dpb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

Do they have a separate fuse for the dryer? That's what mine has.

Reply to
zapalac