Maytag Dryer Model DE 606

My trusty Maytag dryer stopped. It does nothing! I have checked all the thermal fuses and found one of the two located by the back of the drum open. I replaced it. Still nothing! No sound not a thing.

I pulled the motor and terminals 3 & 5 when hooked up to 120 volts will let the motor run correctly.

No problem starting it that way. I put the motor back and still nothing. I am suspicious of the control switch; however, I need to know some things:

Is there an internal thermal device in the motor housing itself? (which wouldn't explain why it ran) Are there more than two thermal devices on the back of the dryer? (both of these ohm out) There is one in front of the dryer for the element - it checks out too!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I have taken this dryer apart from front to back many times and even added an idler wheel at the rear to help keep the belts tight to operate the drum. I hate to part with a good machine and one that I know -- or thought I knew.....

Again many thanks to all responses!

Reply to
M5G

How about the door switch?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I checked the door switch and it seems suspect....ohm meter goes back and forth...will replace...never thought about the switch. Thanks for the insight.

Edw>> My trusty Maytag dryer stopped. It does nothing! I have checked all the

Reply to
M5G

I almost hate to ask but have you checked the dryer's circuit breaker to see if it has tripped?

Reply to
greg6755

That was the first thing I checked. All OK. Got it fixed! Thanks for your help. It was the door switch.....by passed it and put another switch in its place located remote. When it was ohmed it pulsated up and down indicating some problem it the circuit contunity. Replaced it with another remote switch and works fine. Now I am replacing the belts..replaced one and when it was installed the other is too loose.... lesson: always relace both belts at one time...got them for less than $10 each at local auto store...had to order but price saved $15 each. Belt sizes

56 inch and 46 inch on this unit...but I read that some DE606 units have a different size--like a 42 1/2" instead of the 56".

I feel like I know this dryer -- hate to change to new one after reading all the post at sites about problems with new washers and dryers.

Thank you all for your input.

Reply to
M5G via HomeKB.com

Reply to