Clothes dryer burning smell

Last night was doing laundry noticed a really strong burning smell from the garage, went in and it was a nasty smell, not like hot metal but like hot burning plastic or something.

The clothes smell really strong and bad.

The cycle was finished and I took the clothes out I looked around in the dryer and didn't see anything odd. I closed the door and started it up, afer about a minute I opened the door fast and didn't notice any smell. THen I put the dryer on hi and ran it again for a minute and then again opened the door fast, again noticed nothing.

This morning I ran another load while washing my car in the driveway after about 15 minutes I could smell it out in my driveway. I stopped it right way, the clothers smell really really bad, even 9 hours later.

The dryer vents to a plastic box that has water in it. The lines are exhaust vent is free and there are no obstructions.

THe smell is not burning lint it is a really nasty strong smell. The dryer is electric 220 VAC.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Tube Audio

The belt that turns the drum is slipping, heating it up and burning/melting it.

Could also be clothing getting caught in the gap around the drum, but not as likely.

Finally, Is the lint trap clean, as well as the path for the vent?

Reply to
Noozer

I thought it would be an electrical problem, like a bad thermostat, which turn into a big serious problem.

What would cause the belt to slip and burn. Do I just have to replace the belt? Clean the drum and pulley?

I guess I will take it apart to look at it.

Reply to
Tube Audio

You'll have to. A slipping belt is caused largely by age and/or the tension adjustment has loosened up coupled with a heavy load in the dryer. Simple repair I would think.

Same thing can happen to automotive v-belts; that squealing you sometimes hear when you turn the steering wheel hard to the end of it's travel is caused by a slipping belt.

Reply to
Bob M.

IIUC, sometimes the squealing goes away as the car warms up because rubber or neoprene is one of the few things that shrinks when it gets warmer. So the belt gets tighter as it warms up.

Reply to
mm

Based on what I have seen in the 1 or 2 dryers that I have had apart, there will be a bearing of some sort at the back of the drum, and the front end of the drum, near the door, will ride on some felt pads. If the bearing has gone bad, or the front pads are worn enough that the drum is binding, that could cause enough slippage to melt the belt.

Another possibility could be the idler wheel on the belt tensioner sticking and rubbing on the belt.

Just replacing the belt without fixing the underlying cause will have you running out for another belt in short order.

My own personal worst dryer odor was when a bird made its way into the vent and ended up dying inside the dryer, but I doubt that's your problem.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Rather than keep starting it and risking a fire, how about opening the thing and looking for something that looks burnt. You may have lint on a heating element, could have had a smoldering fire in the vent piping, or as other said, the belt is slipping and getting hot. Or maybe the motor is dying (which has a different but strong odor). Having been a handyman for many years, one learns to tell the problem from the odor. Burnt motor has one small, whereas burnt rubber (belt) is another, and burnt lint is more like burnt paper which you should recognize. Electric dryers are not very complicated. Open it, look for burnt stuff, and vacuum out the entire case and vent pipes while you are at it. Also look at all wires and connections. A wire got in contact with the belt, or a bad connection......... Of course unplug it before you go in there. If you are not confident doing the repair, call a pro. Once you look inside you'll most likely see the problem. Either way, dont use it again till you open it and check it.

One other possibility, did a mouse get in there and get fried on a heating element? Or a bird got into the vent? Anything is possible.

What do you mean when you say "The dryer vents to a plastic box that has water in it." Water in it?????? Huh??????? I hope you dont have that plastic coiled dryer hose junk. That stuff is now outlawed in most areas, but there is still lots of it around. That stuff can ignite quickly, and likes to clog too because of the rough interior. Use soild metal pipe only. Either galvanized tin or aluminum.

Reply to
handyman25

Make shure that your vent and hose is clean. This should be done once a year. It may be clogged with lint and will cause overheating do to not enough air flow.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks to all for the advice.

I don't have time now but will take the dryer apart this coming weekend.

For those that are interested it is a LADY KENMORE heavy duty plus "solid state integrated circuit" from Sears model no.

110.86194800

stock no

61948

serial no. m12503031

I went to the Sears website and searched under the parts and accessories link from their main page. Was able to see exploded views, parts diagrams and parts lists.

Reply to
Tube Audio

My dryer repairs have included A shorted/ burnt wire (burnt smell and blown breaker..... I spliced, wirenut and tape, has worked fine for years) Plugged hose (metal is far superior) Plugged exhaust tube between tub and hose (burnt smell)...plugged with pens, junk and lint (kids are hard on dryers) belts motor drum support wheel drum gasket (felt) Timer

Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo