Charcoal smell from electric clothes dryer?

I noticed a new odd behavior from my 10 year old electric Kitchen Aid dryer, the clothes smell like charcoal or lighter fluid. I checked the lint trap and it was empty. Is this a symptom of some common problem? Thanks

Reply to
Unused Classified

Are you sure the exhaust hose isnt full if lint blocking airflow, that could burn out a unit, I wouldnt use it till its checked out.

Reply to
ransley

Does it smell like possibly the belt is burning or rubbing against something?

Reply to
Mikepier

I just cleaned out the exhaust hose, there was a very small amount of lint in there, not enough to cause a problem.

The smell is really exactly like lighter fluid or charcoal.

Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
Name Classified

Have you checked the air intake path across the heating coil? That's the most likely source if the clothes smell bad. The air goes through the fan and filter after it passes through the tumbler.

Reply to
Bob

Haven't a clue - but if you use charcoal lighter fluid when you cook out, you're ruining your steaks - consider one of these:

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Anybody leave a Zippo lighter in a pants pocket?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Been doing that for years... but I just take a coffee can and a bottle opener and make my own. No handle, keep a pair of Channellocks handy to remove it. If it starts falling apart, make a new one.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Could be the belt from the motor to the drum is slipping. That normally smells like burnt rubber, but not everyone knows that odor. Be sure the motor itself is not coated with lint too. This may be a good time to open the dryer cabinet and take a vacuum cleaner to everything inside, check the belt, and clean out the exhaust pipes too. You dont want a fire, and after 10 years they do get a good share of lint buildup inside. Also look for any burnt looking wires and connections.

Reply to
mister-muster

replying to Unused Classified, llruna3 wrote: Anyone figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem from my 7yr old LG dryer. I've noticed that drying on Air Dry, eliminates the smell. So it must be something to do with the gas. ..

Reply to
llruna3

Charcoal is pretty much odorless, unless you have used awful charcoal lighter fluid.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Or the heat.

Reply to
Micky

It could be lint build-up within the unit. You would be surprised how much lint can be built up on the inside of the internal duct work, on the blower, around the motor, etc.

As this lint heats up, it could become odoriferous.

DerbyDad03