Electric Dryer Shuts Off

We have a 7-year-old Whirlpool electric clothes dryer which worked perfectly until today. It will run for a few minutes, then shut off. The lint filter is clean and the exhaust is getting outside without any blockage; good flow at the exhaust. It is heating, the clothes are warm although still wet. When it shuts off, it starts right up again when we push the start button but only runs for a few minutes again.

This is one of those with the moisture sensor, where you can set the dial on a dryness range. We've used that feature for seven years with normal dryness on high heat. Since the trouble started, I've tried the straight timed drying cycle and it still shuts off. Same thing with the low heat moisture sensor setting. I guess I'll have to put it on the fluff cycle, air dry with no heat, just to complete the set.

My guess is that the motor is overheating, flipping a breaker inside the dryer. When it's been off for a while, it resets and the dryer will start. Either that or the safety switch that turns it off when the door is opened is going crazy and sending the signal that the door is opened even though it isn't.

Any ideas before we go buy a new one?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

First... Check to see if the drive motor is covered with lint. This will let the motor over heat and trip the reset motor overload. WW

Reply to
WW

I have a dryer that stops at a specific point in the total drying cycle about once every three months. I just reset by flipping the dryer circuit breaker at the main for about 20 seconds. Try it. Sort of like ctrl.alt.del

Reply to
shellyf_DELETE_

The cover on the dryer probably comes off by pushing in on two clips located at the front top corners of the cover and then hinges up on two clips located at the back of the top cover. once the top is up, vacuum everything in sight, especuially around the motor. The fact that it stops no matter how the heat is set is a good clue that it is the motor. You don't say if it restarts immediately or if some time elapses before you restart it. My guess is that you find it stopped and then restart it, rather than sitting there waiting for it to stop. If there is a time lapse, then the motor has time to cool off. Of you restart it immediately after it stops, I would expect that it woudl stop again very shortly as the motor is already close to the overheating tripping point.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Try jumping out the door switch and see if it still happens. This will eliminate if its the door switch or not. Just don't open the door while its drying.

Cut the power at the breaker first before doing this obviously.

Reply to
Mikepier

Isn't it likely that the breaker is in the motor itself?

When it's been off for a while, it resets and the dryer

Reply to
mm

I have a 38 year-old Maytag dryer. the element is around the periphery of the drum. The element broke and sprung itself against ground. So, part of the element was running on 120V. Just by luck, it almost worked, although not very hot. Overcurrent can pop a thermal cutout. Element can change shape as it gets hot and disconnect itself.

Reply to
mike

Some other culprits is the timer, which has contacts inside that can wear out causing an open, which will turn off the dryer.

Also some dryers have a tensioner pulley for the belt with a microswitch on it. The purpose of it is if the belt breaks, the switch on the pulley assembly opens and shuts down the dryer.

Reply to
Mikepier

Take it apart - could be any number of sensors (ours has airflow and a couple of overheats, along with the door switch). I expect that the top and rear panels come off easily, same with any internal exhaust ducting (our elderly machine was choked inside with debris and lint that had gradually made it past the filter, despite seeming to have good exhaust flow - cleaning it out improved dry times no end)

Yes, it might be the motor or timer - but it could just as easily be something obvious such as a loose wire or busted component.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I opened it up last night. Like yours, the fan was packed with dust, lint, pumpkin seeds and a couple of nails. It was very dense and must have put quite a strain on the motor to keep it moving. I cleaned everything and put it back together for a test run with some damp clothes. Unfortunately, it still shuts off after about five minutes. I guess the motor must have been permanently damaged by all that extra weight over the years and gave out. Time for a new one.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

responding to

Renate wrote: My Kenmore series 90 dryer shuts off after few minutes using normal cycle or air dry only (without heat). No lints in the dryer or duct.I can rotates motor very ezly without any noise. I have to wait a few minutes to restart the dryer. Please advise. Thanks, Renate

Reply to
Renate