Maytag dryer repair

I have a 10 year old Maytag dryer. It has been very reliable so far. A month ago, it started making a bad noise when running. I took it apart completely, vacuumed it completely removing all dust and found that the plastic impeller had broken at the motor shaft. I replaced it.

Shortly after that, the dryer would run for one cycle, but refused to restart. Leaving it for 30 minutes or so would 'fix' it. When you pushed the start button, you heard a buzzer, like the 'end of cycle buzzer on a washer. (or dryer?)

When cool, the drum turned easily, although when hot it was a bit stiff (too stiff?).

I took it apart again. I disconnected the belt from the motor and ran the machine. Everything would start/stop as many times as I wanted. It ran very cool. When the motor starts, there is a short (1/2 second) buzzer noise, perhaps the bearings are starting to go? When running it is very smooth. After running, the motor shaft is cool so I don't think there is too much friction/heat being produced.

The belt is not in good shape, but functional. The pully turns freely, and the idler arm moves. I cleaned the nylon bearing on the idler arm where it slides on the motor mount.

What happens is that when the dryer starts, (cold/first time) the idler is all the way left (spring with no tension). After running a few seconds, the idler moves slowly to the right (clockwise) as belt tension increases.

When the dryer stops, the idler does NOT retract to the lefthand position. The motor will 'honk' when you press the button to start it. If you hold the button for a second, then sometimes it will start. Note that the drum is stiff at this point, but not seized. Overall, the belt seems too tight. Should I invest in a new one? Everything else seems ok, (motor, bearings). The drum is slightly loose even when cold, just a bit sloppy but then it is just supported by 2 rollers and some felt.

So what do you think? Is it the bearing surface of the drum that is causing the tightness when hot, or the belt, or the idler?

Some questions: Is the drum symetrical, or is there a front and back? Mine looked symetrical.

Does the belt ride in a groove on the drum? I tried that, but it ran for a second then climbed up onto the drum.

One side of the belt is toothed. Does that side go next to the drum, or away from the drum, or does it matter?

Does the belt go on the outside of the idler when returning to the drum on the right hand side, or on the inside bottom of the U? I've tried both. There were some URLs with pictures posted about 6 years ago, but they are gone. Anyone have a pic of the idler/belt arrangement?

All help appreciated!

Rob

PS please hurry, my 16 year old son just came down in a panic because he has no underwear for school tomorrow, and that's my fault of course. He REALLY needs to do laundry.

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Hi,

Sounds like ( no pun intended ) the motor is going sour.....

Nope.

Model# not posted, but most 10 year old Maytag dryers will have the flat side of the belt towards the drum.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Maybe you are right. The dryer runs if I manually spin the drum. However, it really seems like there is just too much friction when it is hot because of the behaviour of the idler. As I said, when the dryer is cool, or I uninstall/install the belt, the dryer starts with no problem (ok, a very minor squawk).

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

The "squalk" usually comes from the drum rollers, not the belt idler.

Reply to
gfretwell