Maytag dryer won't start, just hums.

Hi, I have a 2005 Maytag dryer ....Model # SDE4606AYW.

It won't turn on, it just makes a humming sound.

I would like to try to fix it myself....but have no clue how to do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from a girl in desperate need.

: )

Reply to
btrflywngs88

Hi, My 2005 Maytag dryer won't start, it just makes a humming noise.

I would like to try to fix this myself, but have no clue at all what I am doing.

Thanks from a girl in desperate need.

Reply to
btrflywngs88

Perhaps it forgot the words?

: )

Reply to
Noozer

Does the drum spin easily by hand? Then perhaps the drive belt is broken. That is fixable. Start here:

Grandpa

As another poster suggested, check the drum drive belt. You may have to figure out how to either remove the front panel or pull the top cover up to gain access to the motor. Spin the drum by hand and see if the motor shaft is also turning. Unplug the dryer when you are doing this....

Another possibility is a bad motor. If the start/run relay on the motor has gone bad or stuck, the motor will just sit there, hum and gradually overheat. I've had that happen on several machines. Unplug the dryer, remove the belt from the motor shaft (it's spring loaded via an idler pulley). Carefully, after plugging the dryer back in and turning it on, try spinning the motor shaft by hand. If it starts up after dong that, the start/run relay is bad. You have the option of trying to find a new relay or replacing the motor.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

You're welcome. Tom

Reply to
tom

Is it still under warranty? Don't pay for the repair if you don't have to. Cheers,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Nothing wrong with a good hum job.

Reply to
Lamey

Sounds like either the drive belt has broken or come off the drive pulley on the motor. Unplug it, lay it on its front and remove the back. Look for the belt. If it's still in one piece just pop it back onto the pulley. There should be a little groove round the drum into which the belt settles when working.

Reply to
Aardvark

replying to Noozer, Lackage wrote: I just saw this response noozer and let me tell ya, how can any respectable dryer forget the words to the star spangled banner ? Especially if the product in question is American made ?

Reply to
Lackage

replying to Noozer, Lackage wrote: I just saw this response noozer and let me tell ya, how can any respectable dryer forget the words to the star spangled banner ? Especially if the product in question is American made ?

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke