Maytag Problem -- Clothes are being ripped (2023 Update)

Hello everyone,

About a year ago I had posted that my clothes are being consistently torn by out Maytag washer MAV7504EWW 2 1/2 years old now. Since the time that I had posted I had replaced the agitator as there were no physical defects in the tub itself. The agitator end sits about 1/2" in the air from the base of the tub which to me seems excessive. I still believe that this is causing my clothes to somehow get jammed in between the tub and agitator causing the tears to occur. I also found out that there is a little play in the drive shaft which is causing the agitator gap to increase even more. I have verified that the agitator bolt is secure to the drive shaft to that's not the issue.

I also have tried a more delicate speed setting as well as loading fewer clothes but still have the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? To me this seems like a design flaw on this model.

Nick

Reply to
nick

Is there a bushing of some sort that the tub sits on? Could it be worn and sitting lower than normal, creating the gap under the agitator? Perhaps there is a seal of some sort missing between the bottom of the agitator and bottom of the tub.

Reply to
Noozer

Our very old Maytag has slots at the bottom end of the wings of the agitator, so once in a while a strap or delicate item is hooked. Don't have stuff getting torn, though. There are mesh bags that you can put delicate items into for washing.

Have you had Maytag service/repair look at it? What kinds of items are damaged, and how are they damaged .. normal/heavy fabric torn, or just ties and straps?

Reply to
Norminn

If it was a design flaw, tens of thousands of people would have the same problem.

Have you asked the service department at your dealer? If you have a real dealer, not a big box store, he may well tell you what the problem is over the phone. You can go tot he store and look at a display model to see if the gap is correct or if you installed your agitator incorrectly.

After all of this time, it may be best to get professional help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wrong agitator????? Something preventing agitator from seating down on the agitator shaft correctly? Somebody installed or repaired washer using or incorrectly installing the shaft? BTW Maytag should have plenty of time, according to their advertising! To fix it.

Reply to
terry

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote: : Hello everyone, : : : About a year ago I had posted that my clothes are being : consistently torn by out Maytag washer MAV7504EWW 2 1/2 years old now. : Since the time that I had posted I had replaced the agitator as there : were no physical defects in the tub itself. The agitator end sits : about 1/2" in the air from the base of the tub which to me seems : excessive. I still believe that this is causing my clothes to somehow : get jammed in between the tub and agitator causing the tears to occur. : I also found out that there is a little play in the drive shaft which : is causing the agitator gap to increase even more. I have verified : that the agitator bolt is secure to the drive shaft to that's not the : issue. : : I also have tried a more delicate speed setting as well as loading : fewer clothes but still have the same problem. Does anyone have any : suggestions on what else to try? To me this seems like a design flaw : on this model. : : : Nick

Nick,

Seems that many others have the same problem. Take a look at these - I Googled Maytag tears clothes

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Thanks Larry for the information. Hopefully there will be a class action lawsuit on this line as there was on the Netptune line. I'm almost inclined to sue myself.

The washing machine creates tears in the fabric as well as ripping belt straps off of blue jeans. I had a Maytag repairman out twice on this issue and all he suggested was using less of a load or a more delicate cycle.

I can also tell you that our previous Maytag washing machine lasted 27 years without so much as ripping one piece of clothing! I wish now that I didn't throw the old one out...I would have paid $1000 to repair the old one if I knew then what I know now.

Reply to
Nick

You'd get better results if you sue them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Our Neptune front loading washer is 10 years old now and working like a champ with just one repair and the free mildew upgrades. Best washer we've ever owned.

Reply to
Art

What is a "mildew upgrade"?

Reply to
Norminn

Mildew -- new and improved! :)

(I would presume it must be a mod to fix a draining/water collection problem that led to mildew buildup between loads, but that's purely a guess....)

--

Reply to
dpb

A good guess. Installation of seal with drain, mildew resistent tub installed and old one removed, new control board for better cycles and a venting door. 2 men 1 hour all free.

Reply to
Art

These recall expenses and other related issues creating a loss of profitability was what caused the Maytag Corp to lose its independance and be taken over by Whirlpool.

It was a sad end to a once fine company.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I figured it was keeping all those repair guys on payroll but never getting any revenue from them that was the problem...

--

Reply to
dpb

Not in recent years. By then those Maytag repairmen were kept darn busy. Notice how those TV ads faded out? Truth in advertising and all that??

Doug

Reply to
Doug

When bean counters get involved in any company, it surely means quality goes down the drain...Maytag did it to themselves by producing pieces of junk.

Like I expected Maytag would not budge, they wouldn't even send a repairman to look at it free of charge as a good faith with all of the few times that I have called.

Only thing to do now is either get a new washing machine, or sue them.

Nick

Reply to
nick

replying to nick, Batman wrote: We have experienced the same problem. This is very clearly an engineering defect that Maytag should make right for its customers. Once considered a manufacturer of high quality products maytag has unfortunately started building junk. Based on our research there are a lot of complaints about this machine but no effort by maytag to make it right with their customers. We are very disappointed and interested in identifying other consumers with same problems with maytag so we can take some action.

Reply to
Batman

replying to Batman, Mechanic wrote: Just as a note: Whirlpool took over Maytag on April 1, 2006. My washer was produced later in 2006 and it destroys clothes. Don't blame the problems on the Maytag people who built quality machines for years in the US. I gave up one of these quality machines (still working fine, just needed a new tub) for the new Whirlpool models. This was a big mistake. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a top loader with an agitator that really works?

Reply to
Mechanic

Mechanic posted for all of us...

Yes

Reply to
Tekkie®

Maytag. Ours is a 2014 and has been perfect. Does not have the center agitator though

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski