Clothes dryer making noise

It's a Kenmore. It sounds like a loose belt. I've never seen the insides of a dryer. Am I making a mistake to take it apart and try to see if it's something I can fix? It's a gas dryer.

Thanks : -)

Reply to
Not so quick

Hello 'not so Quick'

Have the same dryer giving the same sounds...like a squeaky belt. Unplugged the dryer and then pulled it away from the wall and removed the bottom inspection plate at the back of the unit. Inside I found a plastic pulley on a spring to act as a belt tightner for the belt that went around the drum. The squeak I had was the tightener pulley squeaking on it's shaft. I took a can of 3&1 oil and put a very light application on the shaft and was carefull not to get any oil on the belt. I did this fix about 6 months ago and the dryer hasn't made a sound since...worked great!. hope that was of some help...Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Dryers are not usually too difficult to repair but belts on most appliance's don't make such noises when they're failing so **don't** go spraying automotive "belt stop squeak" all over the place in an attempt to silence it.

Common places for squealing sounds on a dryer to develop are worn drum roller or drum support slides (depending on which are used on whatever model dryer you have), a worn idler pulley or worn rear drum bearing and shaft (if so equipped).

Contrary to the other advice which was given, if you are able to isolate the part causing the noise, replace it. (Most common dryer parts are reasonably inexpensive). Just "lubbing" things in a dryer often causes a lint build up in that area.

JMO

You can read what information is needed to the proper replacement parts for your home appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

FREAKING SAPMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thanks. I appreciate you help. It sounds pretty loud to be pulley. It shakes the machine.

Reply to
Not so quick

That helps a lot. I was hesitant about removing the gas line to get at the problem.

Reply to
Not so quick

Hi,

-Most- work can be done from the front leaving the gas line(s) and connectors alone :)

Some dryer helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

You shouldn't get upset because someone provides a view contrary to yours, especially if its from a professional in the field (if you're not).

When fixing something you should always look to solving the *problem* not just eliminating the *symptom* (in the OP's case squealing). Fix it once and fix it right!

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.ca

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Only to SPAM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dump the sales pitch and try just giving advice....your advice looses it's credibility when you start steering people to your door. I am a tradesman and also business owner....I do not advertize here...... I have no hidden adjenda...I have nothing to gain. Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Is it making a thumping sound that goes away after it warms up? I know you mentioned a belt sound but not a squeak.

Reply to
edee em

I DID give advice and I also pointed the OP to a site which had pertinent information to accomplish the task at hand. Whether is was my site or not has little to do with it.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Everybody got sick at one time here so I decided to not hassle with trying to repair it.

The Sears guy says it's a bearing and that the labor is over $100. He suggested buying a new dryer. The belt looked bad and the other bearing was repaired. Anyway, if I buy a new dryer, any suggestions? Do the other manufacturers deliver and have service people, extended warranties? Is a front loader better? Thanks. : -)

Reply to
Not so quick

Dan ...you were still trolling for business.......how would you like to go to MY site then...

at

...Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Just so you know for future reference, posting a link to a site (commercial or not) which *IS* related to the topic being discussed in

*NOT* spam. Posting a link to your own site (commercial or not) which *IS* related to the topic being discussed in *NOT* spam.

I do not spam the newsgroups, I answer questions I am qualified to or think I have some insight which might be helpful. I post my signature with all messages so others can determine if I know of what I speak and not just a hack or goof-off making trouble.

My sig is my signature. If you don't like seeing it I suggest you set up a block in your news reader software so my messages will not be displayed for you. Simple?

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Other *dealer* do.

JFYI. Sears isn't a manufacturer, they just rebrand other companies products.

Of course.

Sure!

I've never seen a dryer that wasn't a front loader although Fisher and Paykel is suppose to be bringing out a top load dryer soon (if it isn't already on the market).

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~