Gas dryer intermittent problem...

Help, please... Kenmore "Ultra Fabric Care" gas dryer, "Heavy duty 80 series", Model #97586210 75862...

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Push the Start button, and...

Sometimes you hear just a Click. Nothing more.

Sometimes you hear the Buzz for a second, then a Click, and it starts and runs like normal.

Sometimes you hear a loud Buzz for as long as you hold the button down. It doesn't start.

Now, after it starts and is running normally, it Stops all by itself after 5 minutes, even though the timer is set at 60 minutes.

I removed the Front of the dryer, and unhooked the drive belt to see what's happening...

The Click comes from the Solenoid in the Front/Left side where the gas enters the burner.

The Buzz comes from near the motor, in the Rear/Right side.

What's happening here? How to fix this thing?

Thanks in advance, people.

Mark246

Reply to
Mark246

I am going to take a wild guess. I suspect it is not sensing a flame or a vent and that is shutting it down.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

OK,... not sensing the flame might shut it down. That applies Only After it's already running. How do I fix that? Where's that sensor? What does it look like?

It won't start now. It just Clicks.

Help, please... Any ideas?

Thanks, people.

Reply to
Mark246

The clicking is likely the drier attempting to light the flame. Normally it should only click a few times before it ignites. If it fails to sense a flame, it will shut off the gas to prevent an explosion.

I don't know the specifics for your dryer so I am not able to give you specific instructions. For that you really need a repair manual for your specific dryer.

If you were familiar with driers, you might be able to do a few test and verify the problem with out the book, but without book or experience, I don't have any suggestion other than the repair man.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

FWIW, ours had a similar problem recently, and replacing the gas valve coils (a common replacement part, about 10-20 bucks) fixed it.

Reply to
CJT

are you stating sometimes the motor doesnt run and the drum doesnt turn?

thats different than burner doesnt lite, where drum turns but clothes dont dry.

which problem is yours????

Reply to
hallerb

New symptoms, people,... It runs well... gas warms the clothes, and the drum turns... for about 5 minutes only. Then it shuts itself off. After an hour or two, it will run again... for about 5 minutes only.

After it shuts itself off, it won't start... it just Clicks. It will start again after 1 or 2 hours.

Something is heating up / shutting it down?

Would those "gas valve coils" cause this? Where are those? What do they look like?

Thanks very much for your input.

Mark246

Reply to
Mark246