dishwasher detergent clogging drain

I need to put rods through my drain about every year or so due to dishwasher detergent congealing and clogging the drain. Using "Finish" (top brand ?) tablet detergent. We rarely use the sink which drains to the same path, so it doesn't get much "flush though". I'm assuming when the dishwasher drains, it re-congeals when the expelled "liquid" gets cold.
Any suggestions ? Maybe a liquid dishwasher detergent ?
Thanks.

More likely either (a) fatty solids from the items being washed or (b) a problem with the drainage.

+1 Insufficient/zero fall in the drain.

I would have thought that dishwasher detergent would be most unlikely to congeal. As Nick says, most likely to be greasy plates. Lamb fat in particular is great at setting in drains.
Get a dog to prewash all your greasy plates and pans.
Tim
On 24/03/15 17:40, Tim+ wrote:

+10
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 5:40:40 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:

Yup. If you lack one, hot caustic soda down a drain clears it of fat. Its nasty stuff though.
NT
On 24/03/2015 17:47, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

+1 i do that once a year as a matter of course.
On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 17:40:37 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

(b)

So would I. I'm under the impression that dishwasher "detergent" is pretty caustic stuff . You certainly don't want to hand wash your dishes using dishwasher detergent...

We need a description of the stuff that is blocking the drain. Washing machine powder has been mentioned that clogs the pipes with a hard but crumbly residue. Fat is fat thick softish stuff with not much texture.
Any drain that regularly needs to be rodded has a fault or is having stuff down it that shouldn't go down it, like animal fats. "Fault" would normally be not enough fall so solids don't get carried by the water flow or too much fall so the water flows away too quickly leaving the soilds behind.
--
Cheers
Dave.

<snip>
That's ie: Washing machine powder has been mentioned that clogs the pipes with a

though it's definately from the dishwasher.
In message < snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-septembe

Yeah, I've ever noticed dishwasher detergent ever doing that.
Fat does sound more likely, though I'd be a bit surprised if fat in the dishwasher water did it? I thought it was from people pouring fat down sink, or from the hand wash water?
Fat can certainly be a problem though. A while after moving into this house the drain outside the kitchen blocked a bit downstream of the U bend. (the drain turned 90 degrees as well right after it.)
Eventually cleared it with a drain cleaning attachment on a pressure washer. Great big lumps of fat floated down from it - the drain must have been at least 50% blocked with it I reckon
--
Chris French

replying to Tim+, Diane wrote: I rinse everything before putting in the dishwasher but had to have drain lines replaced due to build-up.. I'm with Rusty on this one, I am no longer using Cascade Complete. I don't think the packs totally dissolve before going down the drain hoses.

Bloody hell, what a waste of time. Any decent dishwasher rinses the stuff in it before washing is.

Trouble is you didn’t quote anything so we can't easily see that.

After I found what looked like a long thin strand of what appeared to be the in theory dissolvable packet with the Aldi stuff, I just cut it off and put the tablet in the dispenser bare.

Not if it's rice. That tends to block the filter on the drain.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

wrote

I never get that effect with mine and I do eat quite a bit of rice.
The rice ends up in the pocket thing in the filter where its completely trivial to knock out into the bin, with 3 completely different dishwasher models from 3 completely different manufacturers.
Hell of a lot easier to do that than to rinse everything that goes into the dishwasher. Stupid waste of time.
All I ever do is scrape off the biggest stuff like say chop bones into the bin before the plate goes into the dishwasher.

Really?
I have had 3 completely different dishwasher models but the almost identical appearance of the inside suggests that they have all been made in the same factory with just the badge on the front being different
tim

Yes, really.

Mine are nothing even remotely like the same inside.
Even the pocket thing in the filter is quite different with each.
All work fine with some rice in it.

I don't doubt it, I wasn't commenting on that part
rice would never end up in my dishwasher because I will have made sure to have eaten it all :-)
tim

Obvious lie.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.
Diane wrote:

This was over two years ago. Have you sorted it yet?
On 09/04/2017 17:14, Diane wrote:

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.