dishwasher drain

Dishwashers in this part of the US have a vent in the drain line. The vent is at counter height, between the dishwasher outlet and the sink drain.

Several people I know have removed this vent and connected the dishwasher outlet to the sink drain, just above the trap.

Question: what is the purpose of this vent?

Thanks.

- Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Bryan wrote in news:c1mjg4$2qv$ snipped-for-privacy@iruka.swcp.com:

It's above the sink height, so when you drain the sink it doen't fill the dishwasher.

Reply to
lowspauld

Hi,

Some plumbing codes still require the air gap in the drain and some do not require it. The air gap basically prevents water from flowing backwards.

Gap Kit prevents back-siphoning of contaminated water from your food waste disposer, drain or sink into the dishwasher.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for.

- Bryan

jeff wrote:

Reply to
Bryan