sagging floor

Hi there,I have a sagging floor :( and a nagging wife he he .Anyways I had an Inspector tell me the sag is in the middle and is about 4 to 5 inches.In the Basement there is a small concrete wall about a foot high and a foot thick running about 3/4 the length of the basement and a timber beam above it,Im guessing helping to hold the house up.The house was built in 1915 here in Vancouver Canada.THe inspecor told me he is guessing but maybe years ago water came in the basement and pooled in the middle causing the cement to soften there and after time the house settled.What do you guys think I can have done to fix this problem without you actually seening it.By the way Im no fool I always get a proffesional

Thanks Everyone

Reply to
Dave

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Well hell, you ole no fool, how bout some adjustable posts to set under the beam and on top the concrete? Jack up the beam, put these in and fine tune them by screwing the up or down.

Reply to
lowspauld

It will be up to the professional, but I suggest the best solution will require some new concrete pads designed to hold the weight either next to the existing wall or in line with it, after removing a section of it and likely a new steel beam on steel post.

BTW water does not soften concrete.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Water softening concrete? I'd not trust the professional that told you that. It may erode the footings or do other damage, but not soften it like heated wax.

In any case, sagging floors can be fixed. You have to be sure you have solid foundation. That may mean cutting out a section, digging deeper and putting new concrete. They you can put in a steel pole and jack to raise the floor. It must be done very slowly and perhaps done in a couple of spots. There is a limit as to how far you should raise the floor at a time because you want the rest of the structure to acclimate slowly also. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski