Dishwasher wye pipe installed horizontally?

I'm installing a new dishwasher (not replacing) and I need to plumb in the new sink as well. I bought a dishwasher hook-up kit. My questions:

  1. Can I install the "dishwasher wye" on a horizontal run instead on the vertical run (below one of the sink's tail pieces)? I want to install it horizontally because the plumbing is too high to allow me to insert the wye below the tail piece...

  1. If I read the directions correctly it states to :

"Install dishwasher wye" on ABS drain pipe between sink bowls, using ABS cement. Glue dishwasher fitting in place with branch facing up and towards drain trap" ... I plan on doing this. Am I reading it right that it can be horizontal?

  1. I heard something about the drain having to be 20" above the floor, correct? It will be about 21"...

Any comments / suggestions / tips / advice?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

Should work just fine horizontal. When you run the dishwasher hose, put a loop in it so that the top of the hose is against the underside of the countertop. That will help prevent siphoning into the machine if you choose not to have an air-gap device.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I asked the same question on doityourself.com's community forum "Household and Cleaning > Appliances - Electric" ()

Reply to
Cory Lechner

I posted the same message on DoItYourself.com's community forums "Household and Cleaning > Appliances - Electric"

, and I received this response from "Pilot Dane":

"If you look inside the dishwasher "Y" you probably see a deflector that aims the dishwasher water down the drain and keeps dishwasher water from splashing up into the sink. You could install it horizontally but the deflector may catch a lot of crud and make a clog. I'd try VERY hard to get it vertical."

Any comments? I looked inside the wye and I can't see the deflector being much of a clog concern. If anything catches on it, the pressure of the dishwasher should wash it away... what do you think?

Howitzer

Reply to
Cory Lechner

Stick with your original plan; I don't think it will be a problem. Or, drill/carve the "deflector" out of existence...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim