I am working on prep for installing a microwave above our range. The
range hood which will be removed has power but no ground. I traced the
power source through the basement back up to a light switch in the
kitchen. The way things are wired there have me confused. The previous
owner had obviously done a lot of wiring on his own.
Power comes down from the ceiling to the switch with blk/red/wht.
Blk/red going to the switch for the one light.
Up from the basement is blk/wht which fed the hood and an outlet near
the sink. Wht/wht tied via wire nut. Blk/blk spliced goofy but functional.
I yanked out the blk/wht for the hood and outlet and will run a
dedicated circuit through the basement for the microwave and gfci for
the sink outlet.
This leaves me with the blk/red/wht in the box for the light. I
reconnected the blk/red for the switch but what do I do with the white
wire? Cap it with a wire nut? Not sure what it's there for.
Thanks for your input.