Temporary Natural Gas line.

I can convert my RV heater to NG very easily, probably take about 30 minutes and I have the parts. I am going to need it to house guest of the holidays. I was wondering if there is a gas line that would be practical for a temporary connection. It would be about a 40ft run and I would only need it for a couple of weeks, maybe less. I was thinking of using PEX. and connecting to my Gas Log connection. I can set some hay bales on it to protect it from sun and people driving over it and such.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Should be no problem.

What's a "gas log" ?

Reply to
Home Guy

Depends on the type of Pex, from the Zurn Pex Manual

All Zurn PEX tube is marked with nominal size, wall thickness, pressure rating, NSF-PW, and the applicable ASTM standards. Zurn PEX tube

is for water applications only. Do not use with LP or natural gas.

Other sites recommend Pex-Al-Pex pipe for natural gas

Reply to
PV

A mistake

Reply to
JIMMIE

Copper tubing? A gas line needs to be of sufficient size for the appliance and the length or run. Copper would be an expensive choice for a 40ft run. And hay bales for protection from people driving over it? If there are cars anywhere near this proposed line, it might be time to forget about the line altogether.

You can buy natural gas hose in various diameters in standard lengths or made to order. Google is your friend. One of the main uses is for the RV market. Whether it's code compliant in your locality is another matter.

Reply to
trader4

IIRC, copper isn't used for natural gas, because the odorant reacts with the copper. That's why aluminum tubing is used for the pilot light tube.

I wonder if the OP can run several 10 foot lengths of black iron, with unions so there is some resemblance of flexibility? Though, for temporary use, maybe alternatives would work out.

I'd be tempted to call the local code enforcement people, and see what's legal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Might help keep you warm when the power is out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That does make sense. You could get 100 pounder, 100 gal, or whatever the propane company will supply. That has advantage of not being dependant on the gas supply grid. You've got several days or weeks of fuel on site.

.

leave RV heater on propane, and get a large propane tanf and locate it at the RV

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I recently installed a new gas line for a new stove in the kitchen. After looking at PEX and Black Pipe, I went with CSST tubing It allowed me to run a flexible line through hard to reach places. Cost was just a tad more than black pipe, but the install was so fast that it made up for the difference You can get it in 1/2", 3/4", 1" diameters in lengths of 25', 75', or rolls of 200+' Just Google for CSST tubing I used the yellow Pro-Flex brand From now on, I will only use black pipe for already existing installs My ext 2 projects, gas fireplace insert and backyard BBQ, will be CSST all the way.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

I have yet to hear of an outage of the Natgas supply.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

JIMMIE wrote the following:

Doesn't the RV have a propane tank? Copper pipe would be very expensive for a 40' run. They do make corrugated flexible gas piping, it's the same as the pipe that runs from the cut off valve to the gas appliance in homes that allow the appliance to be moved in order to get to the cut off valve. I don't know if that would be cheaper than copper tho, but it would be much stronger than copper. You can probably drive over it without damage. How about you move the RV closer to the house to use less pipe?

Reply to
willshak

Here is your lucky day!

Mexico

My old piano teacher told me one time, years ago, that her town had both the power and the gas off. I've never had a natural gas shortage or outage. But, I'm sure it is possible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It just seems wrong to talk about 40' of exposed gas line protected from sun and cars by hay bales.

I seriously doubt that that is compliant in any jurisdiction.

However, you've raised my curiosity. What is the layout of this setup such that cars would normally be driving around in the area that the tubing will be run? What type of traffic will you be impeding with the hay bales?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes it does but I would have to drive about 50 miles round trip to get it filled. I have PEX, I have fittings. Just wondered if there was something terribly wrong with using PEX with NG.

JImmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

rvs generally use the 20 pound propane cyclinders available everywhere....

Reply to
bob haller

I'm guessing his plot is on the other side of county road 27, the four lane main feeder from Plotzville where he lives, to Spencertown, where the Agway is. Not more than a couple thousand cars a day. Sound about right?

.

It just seems wrong to talk about 40' of exposed gas line protected from sun and cars by hay bales.

I seriously doubt that that is compliant in any jurisdiction.

However, you've raised my curiosity. What is the layout of this setup such that cars would normally be driving around in the area that the tubing will be run? What type of traffic will you be impeding with the hay bales?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some propane comanies will send a truck out to fill tanks, if they are large enough. And if the customer uses enough fuel.

As to the pex, it's probably not UV resistant. Sunlight will degrade the plastic, and it will crack and leak before long. You'd have to paint, cover, bury or something. And then, is the question of freeze damage, or other damage like from car tires. It may not be "rated", so G-d forbid that anything goes wrong and leaks and goes blooey, your insurance might not cover.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

IF OP decides to convert to NG at least run whatever line they choose in underground PVC pipe for protection......

it might be easier to install a electric heater in the RV for use at home or relocate the RV close to the home to save on underground line needed.

no doubt there are a variety of solutions

Reply to
bob haller

given the input you have here, i'd use soft copper and run it through some pvc to protect it. You'll get flamed for the pex, but it would work.

Reply to
Steve Barker

No sense going overboard.

A hunk of 3/8" plastic tubing should work swell. Gas pressure is measured in OUNCES/sq ft. Put some hay bales on top and you're good to go.

Reply to
HeyBub