Fridge compressor failing?

Frigidaire about ten years old. Compressor sounds fine once it is running but increasingly it fails to start and has to timeout and retry. Is there any chance it could it be the starter capacitor or something fixable? I have now put it on a timer -- one hour on -- one hour off -- to reduce the number of times it tries to start. Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

My PERSONAL experience with two refrigerators trying to extend their lives was throwing money down a gopher hole. YMMV. Perhaps it could be something simple. Bad thing is, if you don't know someone in the industry that will look at it cheap and give you a straight answer, you have to pay premium prices, and don't get much of a guarantee. Once they leave, you're standing naked in the dark. My experiences with different repair services over the year were 75% negative, and 100% sleazy with regard to the negative ones.

It may be a simple fix, or it may be terminal. Identifying the problem inexpensively is one thing. Fixing it is another. Some fixes are a timer or switch, or some other simple inexpensive component. Once you get into anything that has to do with freon, it's another matter.

You can pick up good units on craigslist for what you might throw away on this one.

Good Luck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I love the Fridgidaire brand. Love the quality. Much less expensive parts than GE, for example. Anyhow, yes, the start relays are famous for failing. Make some calls, an appliance repair tech near you should stock compressor hard start kits, and be able to put one on. I stock several of them in my work van, use several a year.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Got the $31 "PTC Relay" and the $18 capacitor that plugs onto it. Had to struggle to get the two wires to release but that was the only struggle. Should have probably used a small drill bit to push on the wire spade lug release. Made a new longer retainer wire to hold it all in place. So far (two days) I have not heard the refrigerator fail to start on the first try. Thanks again.

Reply to
Davej

dirty coils might put more strain on the compressor when it is running but I don't think dirty coils would have any effect on the compressor starting..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The next time you see a "will work for food" guy with the cardboard sign. That's the appliance repair guy you put out of a job. Be sure and give him a buck or two.

Mostly kidding. Grin, here.

.

Got the $31 "PTC Relay" and the $18 capacitor that plugs onto it. Had to struggle to get the two wires to release but that was the only struggle. Should have probably used a small drill bit to push on the wire spade lug release. Made a new longer retainer wire to hold it all in place. So far (two days) I have not heard the refrigerator fail to start on the first try. Thanks again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it gets very hot, it can keep the head pressure high which can affect the starting of the compressor. The overload Klixon can also become more sensitive due to a higher than normal ambient temperature and trip when the compressor tries to start.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can see why you like to be called out.

You're one of those guys who charge $100 to come out and fix a $10 problem, then give a warranty that expires when your tires leave contact with the driveway?

My last experience was a guy who wanted $700 to replace motherboard and "stuff" in my nearly new oven. I pulled unit, unplugged and replugged, looked up error code in the tech packet inside the oven cavity, and fixed the $22 self cleaning interlock myself. A couple of screws, a couple of spade terminals. BTW, I got back my $100 service/diagnostic call when I mentioned my nephew was a cameraman with the local unit that investigates consumer fraud.

Motherboard was fine.

Steve Learn more about cults

Steve B

Steve, most repair techs are honest and are not going to rip people off and when I talk to other guys at the supply house, we discuss who the crooks are and it usually winds up being one or a few organizations that have a corporate policy or culture of sticking it to customers. I know more than one fellow who has gone to work for such nefarious service companies and resigned after a short time because of the company attitude toward customers. I don't blame you at all for being suspicious of a high estimate to repair your appliance. Unfortunately many people aren't as savvy as you are when it comes to dealing with repair techs. That's how those companies afford shiny new trucks. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas