Silicone caulk

Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard, mortar in blocks, they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it smoother. Yay or nay?

Reply to
dadiOH

no. nothing sticks to pure silicone. latex mixed in is for paintable silicone, and stuff will stick to that, sorta.

Reply to
chaniarts

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path here.

The house was inherited by your wife and the work was done by your ex- father in law.

That can't be your wife's father because if she's still your wife, he wouldn't be an ex.

So was your ex-FIL just a guy who worked on the house that your wife inherited from someone else?

Or if she's actually your ex-wife, why are you worried about the caulk in her bathroom? ;-)

Color me curious.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Here's your song:

've had some success, trimming silicone with a new razor blade. Careful! I've also trimmed finger the same way. As others have written, silicone doesn't stick very well to silicone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Curious...

Ex-FIL was a jerk who married wife's mother. His #5, her #3. Wife's mother died, so he is now an ex. Out of the picture totally, thanks be.

Reply to
dadiOH

Probably wouldn't have figured that one out! ;-)

BTW I'd think the old silicon would peel off fairly easily.

At least the Dow 732 silicon that I like to use does.

Holds like crazy but pretty easy to get off of smooth surfaces especially glass.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

other wives died

Reply to
hrhofmann

Lousy cook.

.

Mormon?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Three died?

Reply to
dadiOH

I absolutively will. All I really want is for it to bond (to the old silicone) well enough so that casual cleaning won't pull it off.

Reply to
dadiOH

GREAT! Thanks.

Reply to
dadiOH

One of my grandfathers was married three times and never divorced. Could that be a hint?

Reply to
Frank

Figured. Answered above before coming to end of thread. Life shorter in those days and grandfather outlived first 2 wives.

Reply to
Frank

What do the pregnancies and children have to do with the question?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll have to try to remove some 732 from glass. I know I've used it on glass before (fish tanks) but I'm not sure if I ever tried to get it off.

I can say that I've used it on wood, steel, foam, fiberglass and plastic and it peels of off all of them with ease, yet seals and holds wonderfully. (OK, some types of foam didn't hold so well and styrofoam didn't hold at all.) Works great to bond sandable foam to fiberglass.

You might try some lighter fluid (like for cigarette lighters, not charcoal) next time. I use lighter fluid to remove labels and adhesives from most surfaces. If I have trouble getting the 732 off glass, I'll try lighter fluid to loosen it up.

My best use of 732:

My wife had an old mini van with a leak at the top of the windshield. We took it to a auto glass shop and they said there was too much rust on the frame behind the windshield to seal it properly. They suggested going to a body shop to have the body repaired and then have them seal the windshield.

I took the van home and put a bead of clear 732 in the seam where the top of the windshield met the body. She drove the van for 3 more years without any further leaks. Western NY with lots of rain, snow and salt.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had some old Silicone which needed puncturing. It was chaulky and never dried. Apparently the mixture separated as the first thing that came out of the puncture was a yellow oil.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

CUrious, do you prefer SIlicone on the roof to the butyl flashing compound?

(My engineer uncle agrees with you but he is to introverted to explain)

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Butyl is extremely messy to work with, and I found it does not hold up real well on the surface (over nail heads). Butyl is what I use to join rain gutters together (with rivets). In between metals, its fine (but still messy to use).

As far as your other post about silicone that was separated and never dried, it was old and should not have been used. I've had that same problem, and it NEVER dries. You have to wipe it off and replace it with new stuff. I put some of the old non-drying stuff on some scrap, left it bake in the hot summer sun, and it never dried. Silicone has a life span and goes bad after that.

Reply to
jw

Still married, two wives died while married.

Reply to
Daniel Prince