Energy Star natural gas direct vent water heater

I need to purchase a new water heater. I found 4 direct-vent gas water heaters in my area, only two would fit. None of these water heaters are Energy Star. Do Energy Star gas water heaters exist? I can buy a non-Energy Star, but there is no tax credit and it is not "green." There are tankless Energy Star heaters that cost more, but after reading Consumer Reports I don't want one of those due to the maintenance costs and the "cold sandwich" phenomenon. Is $800 reasonable for a natural gas direct vent 40 gallon water tank (6 year warranty)? Trying to keep costs under one grand and doing the install myself.

Reply to
Phisherman

You may find a link from here to where you want to be

or this is a couple of clicks down.

Ed Pawlowski

$800? Eek!

Lowes has several gas water heaters for around $400! Their MOST expensive (out of maybe 100 models) is $826.

Here's one from Lowes that IS Energy Star rated ($409)

7KE&lpage=none

Sears has at least four models in the $400 range that are Energy Star rated.

I'd expand my search area.

Reply to
HeyBub

7KE&lpage=none

Direct vent???

I think I payed 5-600 a year or two ago.

Reply to
Bob F

I need a water heater with direct vent, not a regular water tank. Sure there are water heaters for $400, but certainly not one with a double wall direct vent.

Reply to
Phisherman

> 7KE&lpage=none

Oh.