New Water Heater & a LONG Cautionary Tale

Thursday evening, 7/13/2017, I went to take a bath and found there was NO hot water. I did notice my sump pump in the basement was pumping with regularity but fresh air return is located down there as well so I wasn't particularly concerned. After heading down there I see water water continually leaking from the 10 year old water heater. @$#%*&!, there's an unexpected expense!!
To be honest, I rarely, rarely, rarely go in the basement as I have nothing down there but the furnace and the water heater. I called Friday morning to my local natural gas company and the price they quoted me for a new water heater was exorbitant. I should have known to not call them as last time I needed a new water heater they were higher than any plumber but I was hoping since I am a customer I might get a little price break. Forger that. Anyway I had a plumber to come install a new 50 gallon water heater and while he was there he saw the pipe for exhaust fumes from the furnace had several large holes in it. He told me to NOT turn on my furnace until that pipe was replaced.
He comes back with my new water heater and new vent pipe for the furnace as well! The purpose of this post is warn people to go into their basements a couple times a year just to make sure pipes, water lines, duct work, etc. all look ok. Don't be a dummy like me, you might not wake up one morning.
I've also had a vapor barrier laid in my basement as it's only a dugout. I have not heard my sump pump come on once since the new water heater and barrier have been installed. Yes, I know, it's my fault completely for not checking down there a couple times per year, but I've learned my lesson, believe me, I have learned my lesson!!
Another foolish thing I have corrected is buying a carbon monoxide detector which I should have had ALL these years living in this house. I bought one of those Kidde models that has the non-replaceable lithium battery guaranteed for 10 years. Back in the Spring I bought the same battery type smoke detector that is outside my bedroom as will be the carbon monoxide detector.
My lecture is over and I hope others won't be an 'ostrich with her head in the sand' like me. It could save your life.
On 7/16/2017 5:24 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Fifty years ago you'd have been right. Gas company not only gave a good price but it was added to your monthly bill. Those days are gone.

This is totally believable. If everything is working right, no incentive to really go looking. Tsk, tsk on no CO detector though. These days they are cheap enough that everyone should have one unless you are in an all electric house.
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 4:48:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, they used to try to get your business if you needed a new appliance. It's almost like they have overpriced everything to discourage you from calling.
On 07/16/2017 04:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

I know someone who has a CO detector (provided by management) in an all-electric apartment. There is no fuel in the building.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 11:49:22 AM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I guess they wanted to cover all bases even though the CO detector was not needed. Some people will sue over the drop of a hat and I guess having one would stop being dragged into court.
Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

Ya think?
--
Tekkie

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:24:22 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

You had a close call with the CO, I am glad you caught it before something horrible happened.
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 5:01:54 PM UTC-5, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Yes, it did scare the bejeebers out of me.
On 7/16/2017 5:24 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Our finished family room in the basement is next to the furnace room and I check it frequently. Our electric water heater sprung a leak in December. Water drains into French drain but there is no sump pump as basement is dry but flooding might cause a problem. Last year AC condensate pipe that also dumps into the French drain got clogged and there was a puddle under the furnace.
CO detectors have a finite lifetime and when battery goes detection ability may be lost also. I replaced mine as well as old smoke detectors a couple of years ago. I don't like having both type detectors in one spot as if one starts beeping, you may not know which.
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 6:20:10 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Yes, when the battery gets low they do have an annoying chirp to get your attention.
It doesn't matter if both smoke and CO detectors are near each other, if one goes off it's certainly going to get attention and I will be investigating what's causing the alarm.
On 07/16/2017 09:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[snip]

One SHORT chirp every minute of so. When you hear such a chirp, I may not be easy to determine what device is doing it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:53:02 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

+1
In a modern house with multiple ones, it can take some time to locate which one is beeping. My beef is I've seen new ones that are AC wired with battery backup where the things start chirping in about a year. I don't understand that. You would think the battery would be there only if the AC is lost, and that the battery would last many years. Given the choice, I'd prefer ones that are just AC.
On 7/18/2017 9:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Except when the power is out is when some people need it the most. They bring in the charcoal grill and kerosene heater to get by.
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 10:17:34 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I'm willing to live with that, because it's my house and I'm not that stupid. But if it's a rental, etc, then I agree, there are plenty of stupid people out there.
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 9:17:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If I remember correctly it was 1994 and the Southeast was hit with a huge ice storm and brutal temperatures and loss of power. In my case it was two weeks without power and though I had gas heat even then my furnace has an electronic ignition.
But I digress. A man was house sitting for a friend who was out of town. He was there to see that the ostrich eggs the friend was hatching were ok and he brought along his brand new puppy, too. He started the generator in the basement/garage and he, the puppy, and the eggs were found dead the next day due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
On 7/18/2017 10:17 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So Darwin takes out a few stupid lazy democrats. What's the problem?
On Tue 18 Jul 2017 07:17:27a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

The new ones that they instaled in every rom of our co-op are AC with "permanent" rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. No chirping. They come around and check them once a year, which you're supposed to do anyway.

On 7/16/2017 10:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

My main reason was that two smoke detectors were in hallway in 1st and second floor and with CO detector on 2nd floor hallway. One was chirping and pain to figure which. All old units, nothing except chirp. That's why I put CO detector in the bedroom.
Many years ago we had a crack in the furnace causing house to get sooted up. We did not feel ill but had no CO detector at the time. We did need a new furnace and a thorough house cleaning.
On 07/16/2017 05:24 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Hi Joann,
Just curious but did you get the model with WiFi?
And how much was the quote from your gas company?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-Platinum-50-Gal-Tall-12-Year-40-000-BTU-with-Wi-Fi-Module-Included-XG50T12DM40U0W/206777719
Thanks in advance,
Bea
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 3:31:32 AM UTC-5, Bea Taylor wrote:

I got a 50 gallon model and if it has Wi-Fi I don't know and I'd have no use for a Wi-Fi water heater. Fifty gallons is as large as I could go in the space I have and would have liked a bit larger but that's the limit for my dugout basement due to height, and angle of the exhaust pipe.
My local natural gas company quoted me $1524 for a 50 gallon capacity, plus tax, plus parts, plus the permit. $2610 for a 75 gallon capacity plus tax, plus parts, plus the permit. The purchase of a permit is just a price gouging tactic.
I had thought of the on-demand instant water heaters but their prices are ridiculous with such a short warranty. If they had a 25 year warranty I'd consider it but 10 years is insulting.