To be honest, I rarely, rarely, rarely go in the basement as I have nothing down there but the furnace and the water heater. I called Friday morning to my local natural gas company and the price they quoted me for a new water heater was exorbitant. I should have known to not call them as last time I needed a new water heater they were higher than any plumber but I was hoping since I am a customer I might get a little price break. Forger that. Anyway I had a plumber to come install a new 50 gallon water heater and while he was there he saw the pipe for exhaust fumes from the furnace had several large holes in it. He told me to NOT turn on my furnace until that pipe was replaced.
He comes back with my new water heater and new vent pipe for the furnace as well! The purpose of this post is warn people to go into their basements a couple times a year just to make sure pipes, water lines, duct work, etc. all look ok. Don't be a dummy like me, you might not wake up one morning.
I've also had a vapor barrier laid in my basement as it's only a dugout. I have not heard my sump pump come on once since the new water heater and barrier have been installed. Yes, I know, it's my fault completely for not checking down there a couple times per year, but I've learned my lesson, believe me, I have learned my lesson!!
Another foolish thing I have corrected is buying a carbon monoxide detector which I should have had ALL these years living in this house. I bought one of those Kidde models that has the non-replaceable lithium battery guaranteed for 10 years. Back in the Spring I bought the same battery type smoke detector that is outside my bedroom as will be the carbon monoxide detector.
My lecture is over and I hope others won't be an 'ostrich with her head in the sand' like me. It could save your life.