GE Dishwasher won't drain

Hi,

I'm at a loss in figuring out why my dishwasher (GE GSD5940D00SS) won't drain. I have looked at the many resources available on the web and have not found the problem. I know that all the hoses are unblocked because if I apply 120vac to the drain pump, water pumps out just fine. I think this also rules out the self clean valve and back flush flapper valve, which I also examined and found no problem. The drain solenoid also seems to be working because I can see it engage and disengage through the cycle.

What does seem curious to me is that during the drain cycle, the main motor runs for ~60 secs (nothing drains), then at the last second, the drain pump turns on for ~1 sec. I watched the mechanical timer dial while this was happening, and sure enough, the drain pump was only activated for 1 sec at the end of the cycle. This doesn't seem right to me, could someone confirm if this seems odd? If this is not being activated correctly, does this seem like a failure in the circuit board (which is probably very expensive to replace)? Any other suggestions?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi,

Thats normally not the drain pump, it just drains out the water in the rubber sump...the motor motor and pump assy with the drain solenoid does the "official" drain outs.

The aux pump only comes for few a brief time to drain out the rubber sump.

See if the drain solenoid is working or not. Intermittant problems with the self clean valve and back flush flapper valve are common and with the drain hose end collapsing.

helps...hopefully :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

p.s. Great name!! ;)

Reply to