gas leak in fireplace

I have GTI model GLS-18NG natural gas fireplace. I can't find GTI on the net (Savage, MI is listed as their address and their phone number is invalid). Anyway, the thing has a broken gas hose and is leaking gas (I taped it up temporarily). Is this something I can attempt to repair, or should I let a pro do it? BTW, where is the main gas valve to a home typically located? If I can turn the main line off, I can either repair the fireplace or cap off the gas inlet. Will I create any problems for other appliances (like my gas furnance) by shutting off the main gas line temporarily, e.g. letting air in the lines, etc.??

Reply to
MJH

Tape is not a fix or even a stop gap measure. There should be a valve before the hose or the appliance. Turn it off.

If you have to ask, if you used tape, let a pro do it. Gas is not something to practice your pipefitting on.

BTW, where is the main gas valve to a home

Right at the meter.

If it is still leaking, call the gas company. If it is shut off, calla plumber and have it fixed properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Id cap the gas line to your fireplace, at once , or find the shutoff valve for the gas line feeding your fireplace and close it asap. Get it fixed by a contractor familiar with gas fireplaces if possible.

Yes, if you shut off the gas meter ... you will have to purge air out of all the gas lines feeding all gas appliances, water heater, furnace, etc...before they will work. Let the contractor do that also.

Reply to
Hello Friend

Find the turnoff for the appliance or call the utility company immediately and ask for help.

Reply to
Art

Hack advises homeowner; hmm not good. Perhaps you think the OP has children Dave? How's your 9-year-old boyfriend these days BTW?

Reply to
Dr Halonfire$

Plumber, or I also thought HVAC tech. Heating guys work with natural gas. I agree, from the fellow's questions, it sounds like he needs to "call the man".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon