capping a gas line

I want to cap my gas line right in front of the fireplace, so that I can have the fireplace replaced. The problem is that there is no valve between the meter and the fireplace. Is it OK to just disconnect the fittings to the fireplace, let some gas leak out, then install a cap on the pipe. I certainly want to do this safely, but I cannot think of a better way. I thought of turning off the gas at the main line, but if I do that, I don't know how to turn the furnace pilot light back on. Does anyone have any better ideas? More importantly, is it safe to cap the natural gas line like the way that I described above?

Thanks, RB

Reply to
rabacu

rabacu wrote in news:7eee98d7-da19-4224-a188- snipped-for-privacy@l6g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

Glad I don't live close to you.

Hire a licensed plumber to do this.

Reply to
Han

That will work. You can use your thumb to contain the gas - it's at ridiculously low pressure. You should be able to cap the pipe in no more than a secod or two which is about the same amount of time raw gas is dumped into your kitchen while you fiddle with a match or wait for the electronic ignighter.

Oh, it's okay to be smoking also - a cigarette is not hot enough to ignite natural gas.

When you reconnect your artifical logs or log ligher, add a shut-off valve to the piping.

Reply to
HeyBub

You should have a seperate valve on the fireplace and any other gas apliances. Its just smart for future problems, your install was done cheaply and isnt to code. Just turn off the main and learn to light the furnace pilot and do it right, what if the chinese cap you get has a bad thread, what if the pipe thread is damaged, what are you going to do , start running to the main shutoff just to find you need a big wrench you dont have handy? Sure you can do it your way, nothing ever goes wrong, maybe duct tape can stop the gas if you have problems.

Reply to
ransley

Given this information, you should call a professional to do the work for you.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"rabacu" wrote

I have to be honest here. A knowledgeable person could do what you want to do, but I'd say you definitely should NOT attempt it.

If you don't know how to light the pilot of your furnace, you probably don't have the ability to make a fast and secure capping of the pipe. Get a plumber or gas fitter and have a valve installed the way it should be done by code.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This qualifies as the #1 Idiot posting of the year. You sir are a MORON. But wait..... You're so stupid you dont even quailfy as a moron, you dont have the intelligence to even qualify as a moron.

Get help from a psychiatrist, you need it.

Why dont you just take the cap off the pipe, and shove your c*ck in the pipe to stop the flow of gas. Just make sure you never remove your c*ck from that pipe, and you wont have any leaking gas. (If it's big enough to seal the pipe, which it's likely not).

Reply to
ratrace

I have done this but screw a valve on, then a stub of pipe and cap....

just be prepared, a helper can be useful.

work fast work well and no sources of combustion.

does the gas company shut down the neighborhood to replace a faulty valve?

Reply to
bob haller

Yes: learn how to relight your furnace pilot. You need to know how to do that anyway. Then shut the gas off at the meter.

While you have it shut off, install shutoff valves everywhere you think you might need one.

No.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I could just see him stripping a thread, then choking from gas in the small space and running, then from lack of knowledge of tools failing to close the gas main, have a heart attack, and cant move, then someone ringing the doorbell later blows him up alive. Ive capped pipes, but it made me nervous.

Reply to
ransley

Have you called the gas company? They will take care of that for you.

Reply to
gfretwell

People do use the thumb and then screw-the-cap-on method all of the time.

My dad used to do that every year when we removed and then reinstalled the gas stoves that heated our old house.

HOWEVER, one year he didn't quite get the pilot light turned off and we suddenly had a plume of blue flame shooting up to near our 10' ceilings. Then the plastic kitchen curtains caught fire. While they were running around trying to find the outside meter valve their 11 year old son (me) suggested grabbing the hose outside of the door and squirting it out. "Too much pressure" was the response.

I went outside, got the hose and gave it a one-second squirt. I don't know if they were more relieved than pissed that I got it out that quick.

Childhood memory.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Be sure the dumb ass looking over your shoulder lights a cigarette while you're in the middle of changing the gas valve. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

BOOM The call 911.....ww

Reply to
WW

RonB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d1g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I think that your story and the obvious inexperience of the OP makes him a potential candidate for the Darwin Awards ...

Reply to
Han

I just did the reverse to hook up an NG BBQ. I pulled off the cap and installed a cutoff valve. Connection was made outside. Dont think I would do it inside without cutting off the gas.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Each gas circuit should have it's own cutoff. At least that's the way mine are done.

If the only reason you don't want to use the main cutoff is because of the furnace pilot light, then I think that's your solution.

Learn how to light the pilot light.

Usually, you take off one of the panels and the instructions are right there.

I'd get one of those barbecue lighters to make the job easier if you don't have one already.

That gas is highly explosive. There's no gain in messing around with it.

Reply to
despen

Things like this are needed to eliminate the most stupid and worthless h*mo sapiens born into this world. It's called survival of the fittest. It's a good thing to eliminate people like this, so they dont reproduce, but unfortunately this situation could endanger the lives of others and destroy the homes of neighbors. It's too bad that people like the OP dont post their full names and addresses so that others could contact their local fire department and law enforcement before they take the lives of others.

Reply to
jw
[snip]

I has the gas company replace the regulator a couple of years ago. They didn't shut anything off. The gas made a loud whistling sound.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I think he has proven that high IQ doesn't run in his family.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway